DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 23:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 05:13 

mwhouston wrote:
Well for me the trying is over. I'm now using double trannies and it is working well.

Hi,

Its possible to use inverters or SMPS but supplying the current is normally the problem.
Its OK on signal tubes but power tubes is a bit difficult. :)

I know the idea of loosing the mains transformer is alluring but its a dangerous place to be.
In theory you can transformer isolate the inputs and outputs but what's the point..because they would have to be isolation TX's voltage dependant insulation etc.

In industry the floating systems are fed with opto isolators and Fiber optics. (Don't go there).. :D

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 05:21 
Project Author

I actually thought of three different input trannies which would do the input isolation task. In fact I have all three of them. But all three had huge drawbacks. "Just bite the bullet Mark", so I did. Far better solution.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 05:28 

Yes,

Power isolation is much easier than trying to isolate/decouple inputs and outputs.
There is to much to go wrong and again fault current is not limited.

Regards
M. Gregg

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 10:15 
Project Author

While not a universal supply, I did build these two units several years ago.

The first is a "Mains Breakout Box" which allows me access to mains voltage while prototyping.
Attachment:
Power_Adapter.jpg
This unit provides secure connections, switched operation, power on indication, and fuse protection.

The second unit is a "Universal Power Supply" rigged for use with a wide variety of octal rectifier tubes.
Attachment:
Flexible_PS.jpg
This unit takes a center taped transformer secondary and a filament supply and delivers a filtered DC output. It has a first capacitor of 30µf/500V and a filter consisting of an 8H/125mA choke and a 100µf/500v capacitor. It can handle any transformer up to 700 vct (350v-0-350v) and can deliver up to 125mA of current.

Using these two boxes I can quickly grab a power transformer and wire up a prototype power supply for any amp I may be prototyping. They have really come in handy on multiple occasions.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 15:08 

Suncalc wrote:
The first is a "Mains Breakout Box" which allows me access to mains voltage while prototyping.

Looks like my "Watt Box" for biasing some amps that require "Turn RV-x for x-watts mains draw" in their manuals :blush:

Work: Classic Valve Design