DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 20:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY Stereo Amp Help
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 17:26 

Hey everyone, new guy here. I'm looking for some suggestions regarding a DIY stereo amp kit.

So here's the rundown:
I have two sets of speakers - a pair of AIWA SX-NA302 speakers (rated for 40W and 6ohms) and a pair of Bose Interaudio 4000 speakers (10-100W, 4-8ohms). I would like to build a simple amplifier that can handle all four speakers, has one or two auxiliary inputs (as that's all I would be using), and just a volume knob. Hopefully pretty simple.

Are there any relatively inexpensive kits or from-scratch projects I could make that do what I want, whether they're tube, solid state, etc? Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: DIY Stereo Amp Help
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 11:06 

The speaker power figures say nothing so if you have somne figures regarding sensivity, it will be easier to point you in a reasonable direction.
If your speakers are 82dB/W/M you need a BIG amplifier, but if they are 98dB all you need is a single 6AQ5 or 6BQ5 (in single end).

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 15:32 

Ok, so what I've been able to find so far is that the AIWA speakers have a sensitivity of 87 dB/W/m. For the Bose speakers, the 10-100W is the recommended amp power (RMS). However, I have not been able to find any listing for them regarding the dB/W/m.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 20:56 

Bose doesn't spec their speakers because it would be a deal-breaker for most. People love them or hate them. They all have one thing in common: they need power and lots of it!

The mantra of, "No Highs, No Lows, Gotta Be BOSE!" comes from underpowering them. Consider them an 18-wheeler... fuggeddabboud a petrol 4-banger, bring on the diesel! :evil:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 09:26 
Project Author

Hi, I believe that as much as I like DIY tubes, you would be better off building 4 "gain clone" amps. Each to drive one speaker. With adjustable input level controls you could balance the amps out and then drive all of them with a conventional line stage preamp. The alternative in tube amps would be a challange to get all the speakers to play at equal levels. It can be done with "L" pads but I feel they degrade the quality of the sound. OK for background music, not so good for serious listening.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 00:51 

Thanks for the input everyone!

Bruce (or anyone else) - going with the 4 gain clone amps driven by a conventional line stage preamp idea, are there any kits you would recommend that perform well and are relatively inexpensive?

I would like to try and do this to get some more experience, and being a college student, I don't have a lot of money to spend haha.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 08:53 
Project Author

Hi, Your thread but heading OT. There are many. When I bought mine I got them from Pete Millet (on the web). Easy to build and pretty cheap. You can now however get four channel class D amps from places like Parts Express for even lower cost and from all I hear they are really quite good. They also sell power supplies that can go with them. A semi modular approach. The DIY part would be to make a nice chassis or case, adding input and output jacks, switches and controls and generally making it work. On a budget I would seriously consider them.

Good listening
Bruce