DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Sep 2019, 00:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Lacewood" Amp V2.0
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 19:11 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
I've just had the best hour I can think of. This amp sounds so sweet at any volume. Listened to some John Martyn, Dave Brubeck, Steely Dan and finished off with S.R.V performing Tin Pan Alley. Thanks Matt, this is one beautiful amp. Very keen to build the Universal 4S Pre-Amp to go with it. I've some questions to ask on that later on, but will put them on the Universal 4S thread.

You may have already stated it but what brandyear of 6V6 and 6SN7 are you using?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 01:22 

Being pretty new to tube amps I have no stash of tubes new or old. So I always have to buy new for each project.
the 6SN7 is from JJ and the 6V6GTCZ's are from JJ as well. I believe the CZ signifies they were made in their Slovakia factory.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 02:31 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
Being pretty new to tube amps I have no stash of tubes new or old. So I always have to buy new for each project.
the 6SN7 is from JJ and the 6V6GTCZ's are from JJ as well. I believe the CZ signifies they were made in their Slovakia factory.

I have JJ tubes and think they are OK. Im currently using the JJ 6L6GCs (brown base) in my SE UL amp. Quite happy but even if I weren't I'm not buying more tubes. My pride JJ tubes are blue glass KT88s. They look fab. who cares how they sound. Hoping to do a KT88 SE UL in another wooden wine gift box real soon.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:31 

I was looking at your wine gift box amp a couple of days ago. I mentioned it to the owner of a little bar restaurant that I frequent (perhaps a little too much). Look what he brought me this morning. Hopefully when you next see this box it will look a little different.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 18:03 
Project Author

Nice box. I'd give that one a vey light sand and spray laquer it. EDOR 10W OPTs will drop in and make an external trannyPS box for the amp, tubes on top and your laughing.

This time last year I was in Madrid, Toledo and Barcelona for a week. Stayed minites out of the town centre. Absolutely loved it. Had nice warm weather, ate and drank plenty. I'd go back tomorrow.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 15:06 

Matt: I'm curious. Do you think it matters if the B+ dropping resistor (e.g....350 ohm,) is placed after the C-L-C filter as in the Lacewood version 1 or before the 10H choke in the C-L-C filter as in the Lacewood version 2? As I mentioned in a previous blog, I am trying to learn the subtle nuances of VT design.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 19:05 

Never mind the question above. I found the answer in Matt's excellent tutorial on Vacuum Tube Power Supply Design. Good reading for newcomers to VT design.

Randy

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 18:03 

I recently remplace my Lightspeed attenuator for a simple Alps blue velvet in a vintage utility case and it was a great improvement.
During this time i build the Arpeggio loudspeakers with the FE166EN who was sleeping in my closet for at least two years.
I use old tubes i had the chance to get at the flea market, i currently use a Sylvania 6sn7wgt and two Westinghouse 6v6gt.
I have many of these tubes but only few pairs of 6v6gt.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 18:24 
Project Author

Is the top plate polished?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 18:21 

Yes it is polished, it was a corroded and scratched 6061T6 aluminium plate, now i can see my ugly face on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next