DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 19:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 20:15 
Project Author

The 5881 didn't last long. Ugly looking valve and no real advantage in sound. Back to the prettier 6L6GCs. Currently flipped back to the T3 Class D monoblocks but feel I like Silver Supreme better.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 20:57 
Project Author

Suncalc, what would be the advantage and disadvantage of removing the bypass cap Ck from the 12AT7? In some of the designs in the pass you have suggested to leave Ck off on the driver. I realise there will be a little less gain.

I do understand it increases output impedance but I don't see that an issue here.

Last edited by mwhouston on 16 Feb 2017, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 21:05 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Suncalc, what would be the advantage and disadvantage of removing the bypass cap Ck from the 12AT7?
As you noted, gain goes down by ≈4dB. With a gain of 21v/v you should still have no problems driving the amp to full power.

The real difference will be in tone. I imagine that the amp sounds pretty warm and full right now. By "unbypassing" the driver cathode, the 2nd harmonic in the driver will drop substantially. This will likely make the amp sound much more neutral. Personally, I wouldn't do it as I really like that full sound. But some prefer a more neutral power amp.

It's really in the ear of the beholder.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 21:11 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
Suncalc, what would be the advantage and disadvantage of removing the bypass cap Ck from the 12AT7?
As you noted, gain goes down by ≈4dB. With a gain of 21v/v you should still have no problems driving the amp to full power.

The real difference will be in tone. I imagine that the amp sounds pretty warm and full right now. By "unbypassing" the driver cathode, the 2nd harmonic in the driver will drop substantially. This will likely make the amp sound much more neutral. Personally, I wouldn't do it as I really like that full sound. But some prefer a more neutral power amp.

It's really in the ear of the beholder.

Thanks mate. Or you could install the "mood switch". Switch Ck in or out. Also because the driver stage is a 4SU I can drop any 12A*7 in as driver. Correct? But I'm really liking how it sound now and the driver is Psvanes best "T".

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 06:59 
Project Author

Matt, what are the benifits of ultra-linear and how would you say it effects both performance and the sound? Interesting to hear you say that removing Ck from the driver tube will drop the amount of 2nd harmonic. I'm interested to hear about the effects of UL.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 19:48 
Project Author

What are the benifits of ultra-linear and how would you say it effects both performance and the sound? Interesting to hear that removing Ck from the driver tube will drop the amount of 2nd harmonic. I'm also interested to hear about the effects of UL.

Any comments.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 20:05 

IME, the sonic difference between triode, pentode and UL (my test bed is switch selectable for all three) is highly dependent on the speakers and associated X-over (if any).

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 00:59 
Project Author

Attachment:
P2243590 (800x600).jpg
Attachment:
P2243589 (800x600).jpg
This was the original 6L6 tube amp in a wine gift box. From this I built the far more improved model in the stained wine box. Listening to it now and love it.

I had another crack at the original but with 12AU7 and JJ blue glass KT88s. Sounds excellent and dead quiet but I'm not happy with the PS. So tomorrow, once more, I'll alter the PS to the one I know works. It can us the tranni box or the second one (Silver Supreme). I have some black metal 6L6s which I'll drop in. For now here are some images with the KT88s

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 06:23 
Project Author

Got the PS sorted by using the external tranni box I made for the Second amp. With KT88s in stalled HT=320V with 300V to the 12AU7. Biasing to the KT88 is 23V and with the Rk - 470ohms each tubes pulls nearly 50mA. Sounds good but I need a big listen to really get a handle on it. a 12AU7 and KT88s have to sound different. Having the external tranni box means I can have a number of amps sharing the filament and HT voltages. That allows me to amp roll with a saving of about $100 for each amp.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 06:25 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Got the PS sorted by using the external tranni box I made for the Second amp. With KT88s in stalled HT=320V with 300V to the 12AU7. Biasing to the KT88 is 23V and with the Rk - 470ohms each tubes pulls nearly 50mA. Sounds good but I need a big listen to really get a handle on it. A 12AU7 and KT88s have to sound different. Having the external tranni box means I can have a number of amps sharing the filament and HT voltages. That allows me to amp roll with a saving of about $100 for each amp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next