DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 May 2019, 12:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 13:04 

Looks like the stain turned out rather well!

A trick I have recently learned (ironically from Matt aka Suncalc) is to use a coat of 1/2# wax free shellac (Zissner cut 50% with Alcohol) as a sanding sealer before stain. Really helps those difficult to stain woods. I also use it (uncut if not staining) before finishing with varnish oil blends (True Oil, Danish Oil, etc). Works well to prevent uneven coloring (blotching), and to get finish to adhere and cure on oily hardwoods like rosewood.

Make sure to study up on Matts vertical amp build before final layout & wiring.

Cheers,
Dan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 13:07 

After sanding, rub with a damp cloth (mineral spirits or water) to raise the grain (prickle) then lightly sand smooth again with fine paper (220 grit or higher) before applying beeswax / paste wax / finish.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 17:54 
Project Author

I was amazed beeswax caused a prickle but easily fixed. My staining and lacquering job is a bit rough but I'm fine with that. I'm still trying different component layouts so no progress currently. Had to put some new T3 class D modules in an amp and other chores which has kept me from this project.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 12:11 

I have found with certain woods, just about any stain or finish applied will cause the grain to rise and prickle. I consider it a matter of standard process to dampen and knock the prickle off after sanding through the grits.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 17:40 
Project Author

DanH454 wrote:
I have found with certain woods, just about any stain or finish applied will cause the grain to rise and prickle. I consider it a matter of standard process to dampen and knock the prickle off after sanding through the grits.

I think for the few extra processes it is worth the extra time.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 12:44 
Project Author

In a recent article in stereophile they are reviewing a 300B Woo headphone and speaker amp. They draw a similarity between the 300B and 6L6 with relation to audio tube quality. Where the 300B is a respected audio tube, the reveiwer, also felt the 6L6 was in the same class. He did refer to the 6L6 being used in a PP amp and not SE.

In the past I have only had a brief listen to a 6L6 amp (a PP one of my own) and was not really impressed with what I heard. I'm building this 6L6 amp because I wanted to use metal tubes I have and some expensive Psvane 12AT7s. The stereophile comment now has me excited that what I'm about to build may bring a nice surprise.

I have other 6L6s which will allow me to roll a few. Time to push ahead with the amp.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 17:37 

M. Gregg wrote:
I have never used this,

however its something I want to try (Bar top lacquer)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bar+t ... CuX1ujM%3A

It seems to have a glass finish with depth that reminds me of the old TV cabinets that always seemed to be impossible to achieve.

Regards
M. Gregg

I have used Bar Top my EL84 amp. :up:
Here it is on the test bench.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 21:11 
Project Author

I guess this answers the $64 Million dollar question, can I drill this wood. Not the prettiest amp I've built but a novelty.

I decided to use the lighter coloured box because I'm going to make matching speakers from the same boxes. I have a pair of 95db efficient wide range 5" twin cone drivers which will go in similar boxes. I'll stand the speakers up beside the amp.

These drivers I can purchase locally. There is also a pair of wide range 91db efficient drivers but would require tweeters. Much better bass though. Maybe next time.
Attachment:
P1093564 (800x600).jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Last edited by mwhouston on 08 Jan 2017, 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 21:44 

mwhouston wrote:
Not the prettiest amp I've built but a novelty.

Hrm, inspirational!

I feel a project coming on.... :smoking:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 23:31 
Project Author

Gregg. I nearly fell over, my wife liked it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next