DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 06:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 06:41 
Project Author

For the metal tube a full metal jacket make over. Ah, OK just a EAT black metal dampener. Looks toxic, well not really.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
behold, the Dark Avenger.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 08:28 
Project Author

Since the selling of my T3 class D monoblocks I have been listening extensively to my 6L6 amp - Silver Supreme. But a few weeks back I swapped in my 6V6 amp - Black Lace. I was immediately impressed with its sound and just how darn musical it is. This made me think it out performed my 6L6 amp.

While the 6L6 was out I put some 0.1uf polies across the smoother caps which fed the driver tubes HT. Also I added some bituminised heavy Al to the top of the OPTs to suppress transformer reasonance. The polies were added to reduce noise in the twin 47uf electros.

Today I swapped the Silver Supreme 6L6 amp back into my system. But before I re-tweaked the now 1st order Xover on the big Beymas. Not sure what magic audio dust got spread about but boy there is a big improvement in sound. It's not just the speakers, I listened to the tweaked Beymas through the 6V6 amp and noted the I provement in treble balance and better smoothness of sound. I think the last two mods to the 6L6 amp have improved its performance.

Both amps are genuine easy listening beautiful sounding tube amps. I would happy settle with either forever. But I don't have to I can enjoy both for what they bring to the music. I'm really impressed with the 6L6 amp it sounds fearless and very sure footed. Not only that but even with the 99db efficient Beymas the amp is absolutely dead quiet. I have to put my ear right into the cone upto the concentric tweeter to hear a very faint hiss. No hum or buzz at all. Crazy quiet. I just may measure it.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 20:38 
Project Author

A retired engineer friend who worked for Burr Brown has a distortion analysis program. Also he lives only minutes from my place. With a result I had him test both my version of the Lacewood (Black Lace) and my 6L6 amp both Suncalc's designs. He has both tube and SS amps.

He liked the sound of both amps with his gear but thought Black Lace sounded better with classical and the 6L6 amp (Silver Supreme) better with female jazz vocals. Silver Supreme had more drive and punch where Black Lace was all over smoother.

Here are the distortion profiles for both amps. Black Lace THD was under 1% where Silver Supreme was 1.3%. The 2nd and 3rd harmonic relationship looks similar for both amps. Power was 1W into nearly 8ohms. Ten first graph is Black Lace.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
Attachment:
image.jpeg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 21:01 
Project Author

Just when you thought the wine box build was a bit different. Not my build.
Attachment:
image.jpeg

Last edited by mwhouston on 21 Mar 2018, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 00:47 

The inspirational resourcefulness of people here is amazing.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 01:23 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
The inspirational resourcefulness of people here is amazing.

Agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12