DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2018, 05:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 19:16 
Offline

Joined: 24 Nov 2010, 14:39
Posts: 23
Location: California
Thanks very much Bruce. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to replace the capacitors and see how it sounds. I think the best label that I can put on the current sound is "shrill". I did verify that the negative side of the transformer secondary's are indeed connected to signal ground


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 00:44 
Offline

Joined: 24 Nov 2010, 14:39
Posts: 23
Location: California
Success! I replaced the capacitors with the values suggested by Bruce. Not only is the problem fixed, the amp now sounds better than ever, even though the only .22 uf capacitors I had on hand were Jameco general purpose generic polys.. As I did the swap-out, I noted something I did during the initial construction that may have caused the deteriorating sound quality. I had placed the cathode bypass capacitors very close to the cathode resistors. I'm thinking that maybe the heat cooked the already undersized electrolytics as time went by. Maybe it explains why the amp seemed to sound progressively worse? Now that the amp is fixed, I have been able to test my recently completed Forewatt preamp. Elegant, both in sound quality and simplicity. And this one got Auricaps, not generics :) Thank you Bruce. Your contributions and selfless efforts for the DIY community are huge and greatly appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 12:21 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 03:11
Posts: 2208
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Great news! Enjoy the sound :beerchug:

_________________
-= Gregg =-
* Ratings are for transistors - tubes have guidelines*
Home: GeeK ZonE
Work: Classic Valve Design


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2017, 16:08 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02 Mar 2009, 12:41
Posts: 1039
Location: Vänersborg, Sweden
Good to know, as I am soon there too. ;)

_________________
Magnus

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
DIY Tube Projects :: DIY Tube Amp Kits :: DIY Speaker Projects :: DIY Solid State Projects :: DIY IC / Op-amp Projects :: DIY Phono Projects :: DIY Cable Projects :: Hi-Fi Audio Schematics
© diyAudioProjects.com - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy