DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 16:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 15:42 

hey guys, so ive just build my first tube amp namely this one : NP-100v12: 12AU7 (ECC82) / IRF510 Headphone Amp

works great, very nice sound !

Just a question as im new to tube amps

How much is the output power more or less?
And anyway to increase the bass a bit more?

Im currently running my Sennheiser HD420's off the amp, very nice sound indeed but needs a bit more low end as compared to my laptops output.
I know the HD420s' doesnt have a very low low end but my laptop output has more bass though.

Also can the amp be run on 19v? and the tube heaters on 12v? what difference would it make ?

The Sennheisers are 600ohm headphones as i found out in the specsheet

thanks , and a awesome wright -up on building the amp.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 15:58 

OK the spec sheet on the HD420's says the normal power required is 100mW. Your amp then would have to output an 8 volt signal just to produce that 100mW sig for "normal listening". (8 x 8 / 600 = 106mW). You could use a filter to attenuate the high freq then turn the volume up a bit. This is all a bit complicated for such a simple amp system though.
I would not connect the amp to 19v as it is designed for 12 volts. 19 volts would cause all kinds of problems just before it blew.
Your best bet is to:
A --Run it the way you are and put up with less bass. (is there an equalizer in the chain you can boost the bass?)
B --Try and find some lower impedance headphones. (most now days are 32 ohms).
C --Build something like Bruce's 6DJ8 headphone amp which can be built using a 600 ohm output transformer which matches your 600 ohm headphones.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2018, 04:09 

I have changed the amp a bit (still experimenting and learning). I added a 12v DC regulator to the heaters to keep them at 12v volt seperately. The rest of the amp runs at about 20v. Ive checked the spec sheets of the LM317 regulators and IRF 510 and they can handle a bit more power, they do get a bit hotter as well. I could always add heatsinks.

The sound has changed, bit more output power .
Ive been running it for a few months now. No noticeable problems, except the heat being slightly more.

If i were to change the 12au7 valve for a 12ax7 ( more gain) , what would be needed to run the 12ax7 and what would the benefits be?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm still new to valves and still learning as i go.