DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 22:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6CY7 Stereo Amp
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 00:35 

A driver triode and two power tetrodes in a small glass tube:

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 03:27 
Project Author

That's the strangest tube I have ever seen.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 04:44 

Replace them a lot in European consoles. Damn things are :censored: expensive!!!! About $120/ea CAD landed (depending on what our $ is doing that day, has been anywhere from $90-$130). Then our markup has to go on that.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 06:42 

I bought a pair used but in good condition for about 150 SEK/each ...

Also used in a Hagström guitar amp.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 06:59 
Project Author

The 6N7 could make a good PP amp low power of course. Two pentodes in the one metal tube. The nice thing is they are black metal tubes. Very sexy.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 07:01 
Project Author

Soundbrigade - what is your best two stage 6L6 SE UL amp schematic. I guy gave me a couple of metal can 6L6s. NOS I think.

What you got?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 08:53 

mwhouston wrote:
The 6N7 could make a good PP amp low power of course. Two pentodes in the one metal tube. The nice thing is they are black metal tubes. Very sexy.

I am using the 6N7 as driver tubes for the 6CB5A build with both sections in the tube tied together.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 12:51 

mwhouston wrote:
Soundbrigade - what is your best two stage 6L6 SE UL amp schematic. I guy gave me a couple of metal can 6L6s. NOS I think.

What you got?

On rare occassions I have been considering doing constructing a SE-amp with 6L6, but I have more or less ended up with to designs that tube in PP-mode. However would look into something like a Darling with 6L6. The sister forum www.diytube.com has a version of the Darling but with 6L6 instead of 1626. As I am extremely lazy I would go for a ready made design that looks reasonable.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 22:43 
Project Author

Soundbrigade I registered with tubediy. Do you have a link to the Darling 6L6 schematic?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 09:40 

I have read through this thread and this amplifier sounds like the perfect next project for me. I am not locating the schematics for this, perhaps I missed it. Would anyone have a link for this?

Thank you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next