DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2018, 10:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6CY7 Stereo Amp
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 05:49 

Or better still, the 5998A, that have a substantial higher gain and hence has lower requirements for the driver tube. A very similar tube with slightly less gain is 7336.

I have built a two-tube 5998A-SE with a 12AT7 as driver and started a second one with two 5998As, having the twin triodes i parallell.

URLS:
http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/a_d/elettroniche/finali-integrati/dario-412A/dario-412A.htm
http://www.audiocostruzioni.net/articoli/scheda.aspx?id=%27275%27
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1015
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1015&start=20

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 10:35 

I can see where matching becomes a larger issue in a PP design.
I've had this design in my files for a while that I've found interesting.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 16:40 
Project Author

But why when there are so many better tubes for the job.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 19:16 

mwhouston wrote:

Your right, just thought the design was interesting.
I'm planning on building a 6CY7 and 6EM7 SE amp.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 06:43 

mwhouston wrote:

Because you can do it with this kind of tubes!!!!
There was a time back in the 70's when everyone had to brew his own wine from assorted junk, like rice, beets, dandelion, carrots etc, avoiding berries and fruits. And this was just before the liberal party manage to pass a bill forbidding Swedes to use anything BUT fruits and berries for homemade wine. I think people hade to try it out because it was possible, even if the result was as close to vineager you could come.

I can have a strong opinion regarding various tubes that are impossible to drive, are far from linear or requiring the most idiotic voltages and currents. However there are unsuitable tubes that may look cool or just happens to "be at hand" and that can be made to work. Among my collection of must-use tubes are 2C39A and a quadrupel of EL81 (aka 6CJ6). Maybe even 829 and 832 are slightly unsuitable but as they are cool to look at and resemble 6V6 and 6L6 they are at least fully acceptable.
Tubes like 6AS7G, 5998A and similar happens to be so great as you get two power triodes in one bottle.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 07:20 
Project Author

Soundbrigade haven't heard from you for a while. But you always surprise!

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 11:10 

I have had a period of deepest lethargy and haven't been able to go either forward or backward with my MANY projects. But now, finally I am slowly moving and started with a Darling-project that stalled long time ago. However no big success but at least I am on the move.

The tubes above are just examples of specimens in my boxes. The EL81 can make a nice PP-amplifier. I like the anodes on top and the 2C39A is aimed for a SE-amp of 0,75W!!!

I also, have the two amps based of 5998A, but I think I just mentioned that.

One other thing to look into is compactron tubes. I have a feeling that there must be some that are built a little like 6EM7 or 6CY7 or maybe yet more complex.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 15:17 
Project Author

I built s few amps with the 6T9. Triode and pentode in the one bottle. It was a Spare Tome Gizmo design.

Soundbrigade good to see you back. I go through stages where I can't get inspired. But lately flat out.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 15:56 

6T9 and 6T10 are useful and fun compactron tubes, but I as thinking if there were more intricate ones like ECLL800. I recently bought two of these to build me a compact PP-amp.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 18:05 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
6T9 and 6T10 are useful and fun compactron tubes, but I as thinking if there were more intricate ones like ECLL800. I recently bought two of these to build me a compact PP-amp.

Don't know the tube??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next