DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 23:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 18:45 

Yes, great, thanks Matt

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2019, 01:05 

Hi Matt,

If I just need a buffer, can the cathode follower section of the schematic be suitable as a buffer?
download/file.php?id=10093&t=1

Thank you

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2019, 01:51 

Yes it will be suitable as buffer, however the 0.1uF isolating capacitor must be connected as there is high voltage at grid

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2019, 15:49 

ILoveHiFi wrote:
Yes it will be suitable as buffer, however the 0.1uF isolating capacitor must be connected as there is high voltage at grid

Great... thank you

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2019, 23:52 

Hi Guys,

What do you think of this buffer? https://cdn.hackaday.io/images/2308991466118743635.png

Will the cathode follower section of the 4s pre have a better performance comapred to the one on top?

ThNk you

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 00:26 

WTF AMPS one have much smaller cathode resistor and is pushing much more current through the 12au7.
This allows for less distortion and heats up the valve more, lower distortion + more warm and postive valve sounds.

https://cdn.hackaday.io/images/2308991466118743635.png
You should build this one

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 07:04 

ILoveHiFi wrote:
WTF AMPS one have much smaller cathode resistor and is pushing much more current through the 12au7.
This allows for less distortion and heats up the valve more, lower distortion + more warm and postive valve sounds.

https://cdn.hackaday.io/images/2308991466118743635.png
You should build this one

Thank you very much for responding. I very much appreciate it.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 11:32 
Project Author

tubo wrote:
Before you just go off and start substituting things you should stop and consider what you want out of the buffer. You also need to define what you mean by "better". The buffer of the 4S, used here, was actually designed as a driver stage for a Baxandall tone stack with some very stringent design requirements (for load, Zo, and distortion). And against those requirements, it performs quite well. In this application, as an output buffer for the 4S, it also performs well given very low additive distortion and having very low intermodulation distortion given the potentially large input voltages coming from a firmly driven 4S preamp stage (which has very high gain as a preamplifier).

I know that this was indicated about what was posted:
ILoveHiFi wrote:
WTF AMPS one have much smaller cathode resistor and is pushing much more current through the 12au7. This allows for less distortion and heats up the valve more, lower distortion + more warm and postive valve sounds.
I find this take interesting, but rather speculative. It is a common misconception that higher current is simply a "good thing" regardless; but this is not a hard rule by any means. The WTF stage is biased to about 8.2mA at Vp=124v (Pp≈1.0W). Here, µ≈19.5 and rp ≈ 7.5kΩ giving an rb/rp ratio of about 2.0. This is enough to allow the feedback to fold-back the high distortion from the low rb (15.3kΩ) by about a factor of ≈12.5. Natural distortion of the WTF stage is about 4.3% so with feedback the CF stage distortion is about 4.3/12.5 or 0.35%. This is OK but not great for a CF buffer. However, the input voltage limits of the stage will still be rather low. And the amplification will be about 0.92 (≈ -0.7dB this is reasonable).

So the buffer you posted is ok, but not great as CF buffers go. But again, you need to define your desires for the buffer. Only once you've done that, can you determine which design will better meet your goals.

Just my thoughts on the matter. YMMV.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2019, 19:52 

Practicall testing and intuitive testing always shows me that hotter running and biased up with more current is lower distortion and more valve sound heard

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2019, 04:55 

Just to correct my past comment, my testing better at higher current and voltages with more power disipation in valve, however might not allways be the case with anything other than cathode follower

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9