DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 16:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 18:16 

Well, Gio, it appears that the trannies sent with the K-12G kit are the same as in my K-8LS kit. Hopefully this does not bode badly for the sound of the K-12!

In the next day or so I will post my layout for the K-12 amp. I spent a bunch of hours mapping connections and have created and loaded up a turret board with resistors and capacitors. My tubes and input/output jacks will be mounted directly to the chassis and wired to the turret board.

PCBs are wonderful things, I think. My K-8 kit went together in an hour or two, but the result is a bunch of components flapping in the breeze. It looks juvenile! Plus, the PCB-mounted jacks and volume control are downright flimsy. And, as we know, the results are unimpressive.

I don't know how PCB "traces" are rated in terms of wire gauge. I figure it's pretty minimal. I'm using 22ga. teflon-coated wire to hook things up, and hope it makes a difference.

One more thing: the wires on the OTs in the K-12 kit exit from the top, which is inconvenient for a chassis mount. I removed the "guts" of the trannies and rotated them so the wires exit downwards. I also painted the trannies with black paint to make them look a bit more elegant.

Watch this space!
Lofton

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2009, 16:17 
Editor

connemaraguitars wrote:
Well, Gio, it appears that the trannies sent with the K-12G kit are the same as in my K-8LS kit. Hopefully this does not bode badly for the sound of the K-12!

I doubt that is the problem with the S-5 Electronics K-8LS Tube Amp Kit.

connemaraguitars wrote:
I don't know how PCB "traces" are rated in terms of wire gauge. I figure it's pretty minimal. I'm using 22ga. teflon-coated wire to hook things up, and hope it makes a difference.

Here is a chart showing the various American Wire Gauges (AWG) for sizes, current and resistance. Your heater draw is 0.45A, so 22ga should be fine.
I'm looking forward to your results.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 22:32 

Yay !

I just ordered one of these kits too - I was looking at getting one over a year ago and became distracted with too many other things - I am hoping that this will be a fun little tube project that may inspire me to design some of my own.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 23:07 
Editor

;) It was for me!

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 10:55 

It should really get the juices flowing.

I have not built one but I heard one at my first GTG and it was a very good rival for a quality T-amp. Couple that with ease of building, the cool look of tubes, and easy upgrading...if you don't catch the bug there is a good chance you are immune. :up:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 18:52 

Here's a brief update...

My turret board is complete and all components have been installed. I bought a nice piece brass for the cabinet top (to which the tubes and trannies will be attached).

Yesterday I upgraded my copy of TurboCAD so I can create a layout...when done (tonight or tomorrow) I'll post it for comments.

It's easy to see why PCBs are so popular...they save a huge amount of time and suffering. On the other hand, I wonder whether point-to-point wiring might give better results tthat offset the added effort. I cut my teeth on guitar tube amps which used either eyelet boards or turret boards; when I got the K-8 kit I thought, "gee this is too easy...how good can it sound?" Since, as we know, that kit gives less than stellar results, maybe I got caught up in the idea that the PCB was part of the problem...hence my (potentially misguided) decision to not use a PCB for the K-12 kit.

Then again, maybe I have this crazy notion that DIY shouldn't be too easy, and using a PCB is too much like making brownies from a mix.

On a side note, I think I'm going to apply the K-12 mods to my K-8 kit and see if they make a difference.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 19:10 
Editor

Post pictures when you get a chance. Aside from making for simple work, a PCB with good layout can make for very short paths can be quiet.

Bruce went to town with the K-8LS kit and could not get it to sound good. Now this has got me wondering about the iron. I guess we will find out soon enough. I'll email Bruce and ask him if he tried the K-8LS iron elsewhere.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 19:38 

Good thing edcors are nice and cheap and sound tremendous.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 19:50 
Editor

I got a response back from Bruce, here is the email exchange:

Gio wrote:
BTW - did you ever try you K-8LS output iron in a different circuit to eliminate that as the problem. Seems the new K-12G kits come with the same K-8 iron and this has us wondering.

Bruce wrote:
My K-8 (after I got on their case) came with the same trannies as the K-12. I believe it was a bad choice of tubes for that circuit. No one item bad, just a patch up job on their part. They got a batch of tubes that were similar in spec to the original and stuck them in the circuit. Maybe never checked to see what they actually did. According to S-5 at the time the new ones and old ones are the same spec, just the manufacturer built them sideways. My amp when I tested it had the old style transformers. Worst performing amp I have ever seen.

So that should eliminate the iron from the equation.

:cop: Further discussion about the K-8LS split to: Salvaging the S-5 Electronics K-8LS Tube Amplifier Kit.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 17:27 

My attempts to create a turret board for the K-12 have been, well, embarrasing. I will post a photo later, but suspect I may be in a "do over" situation.

Never having created a layout from a schematic, I missed a number of things that I guess only experience can teach. Fortunately, the cost of the process is low, as the expensive components are salvageable.

I've built amps from layout diagrams up to this point: a couple of 5E3s, a low-power Fender Twin, and Dave Hunter's Two-stroke. So far my success rate is 66%...the 5E3s turned out well and the Two-Stroke has been a disaster; the Twin is not done due to a lack of funds for good transformers, so I don't consider it a failure yet.

It seems that the goal of any layout is to keep leads (wires) as short as possible. When all is said and done, I hope to be able to create a primer on translating schematics to layouts...assuming I can get this right! For fun, I ordered enough components to build two more K-12s, so keep watching, if patience allows!

Thaks for all the encouragement and support, folks!
Lofton

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next