DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 19:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 02:18 

The restaurant is tiny and we ran a 6EM7 with Fostex FF165WK 6.5" Full Range drivers and an active subwoofer for a couple of weeks. That was my first valve amp that I built last year. More than enough volume.
(See page 7 of this thread).

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 13:15 

The 6EM7 is up and running and sounding beautiful. In the end I used a 1R2 50W wirewound to get the heater voltage to 6.1V under load.
I had to remove R1 (390 ohms) and have the rheostat full over (100 ohms) to get 265V and 251V.
The first stage of the 6EM7 voltages are: Vp 151V......Vk1.75V........Vp+k 151v (shouldn't Vp+k be a little lower?)
The second stage voltages are: Vp 252V.......Vk 32.5V..........Vp+k 215V
Would appreciate knowing if these are acceptable. The mains transformer is running very cool.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 19:49 
Project Author

john55 wrote:
The first stage of the 6EM7 voltages are: Vp 151V......Vk1.75V........Vp+k 151v (shouldn't Vp+k be a little lower?)
The second stage voltages are: Vp 252V.......Vk 32.5V..........Vp+k 215V
Would appreciate knowing if these are acceptable.
John;

These voltages look great. Don't worry about the first stage voltages, there is a tonne of margin in the driver design. And don't worry about measuring plate to cathode. You are looking for a cathode voltage that's about 1% of the plate voltage. Just measure plate and cathode to ground separately and calculate the plate to cathode voltage. Second stage numbers are very acceptable as well.

Enjoy the amp.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 05:42 

Today the 6EM7 is finally in its box. A bit over the top, but I had really good fun building it. You can see a short video of the amp opening and closing at ...... https://www.theleathershop.biz/wine-box-amp.html ...which is the website for my leather shop in Spain.
At the moment I'm running the amp with a pair of Mordaunt-Short speakers I had on hand. Looking forward to listening through my Fostex hybrids and active sub woofer at home.
I'm waiting for a switch and volume control knob to complete the amp and a momentary switch that will be activated by the lid movement so that it's impossible to close with the amp switched on.
Thanks go to Matt and mwhouston for your help.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 15:01 
Project Author

Compared to my "rustic" builds yours is Buckingham Palace. The boxes are nicer than mine which are cheap and light. I like the red bits and see you have added heat guard etc. for the boxes.

I used bigger tubes and found little heat radiated down. So, in my case, no problem with heat. Heat guard or not they are nice touches in your case. As you said though you are intending it for a commercial premises so a little upmarket visual tweaking is the way to go.

The Fostex speakers will allow better volume and with the addition of active sub you should get good volume and balanced sound. My big high efficiency15" Beyma concentrics play quite loud on just 2W the Fostex will be up there.

Excellent work so far look forward to the complete amp and speakers image. I hope this encourages others to do a wine box tube amp. I'm still thinking a dedicated thread for wine box amps may stimulate others to have a go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11