DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 21:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 06:52 
Project Author

You may not have a proper earth to each channel or a common earth to,both channels.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 07:16 

I did build it like my SS builds with a common earth for both channels. I can easily separate the grounds for each channel but will that cause ground loops. I made a star ground common to everything in the audio path with the chassis ground separate with the switch if I wanted to connect the chassis to the audio ground which I have not needed to do.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 07:22 
Project Author

Don't seperate the earths.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 07:26 

mwhouston wrote:
Don't seperate the earths.

I do not quite follow what you mean then about a common earth. What do you suggest I do.

Your help is much appreciated. Tube circuit builds are new to me.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 07:58 
Project Author

Don't make any changes until some can make a suggestion.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 09:06 

Problem solved. On the pot I had tied the audio ground lugs together and sent one wire to ground. I separated the common ground and connected 2 separate wires and sent them to ground. The pot I used has another ground separate from the 3 lugs for audio which I thought was not necessary but I ground them also and now if I pull one input the speaker has no sound. I suspect the tied to lugs to ground was the problem. Lesson learned, success.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 09:29 
Project Author

That's what I eluded at. Floating grounds.

That will be £4/10/3 thank you.

Lol.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 11:18 

Both the leads go to ground so what if you just tie them together and send one wire to ground, that was my thinking. Putting two separate wires to ground fixed the problem but I really do not understand why this is so but the amp that original sounded mighty good sounds even better. I general use two single pots on my builds, that way you have some balance control but I did not know how this amp was going to sound so I went with a dual that I had. I thought it might be the volume control that somehow was causing the problem but I was expecting to replace it with 2 singles. All is good now.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 15:13 

I think I understand what was happening now. I connected the grounds on the pot as 1 going to 2 then ground. If I had connected ground between 1 and 2 I believe it would have been good to go but as I had it 1 was going to 2 then ground. Does this make any sense?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 18:37 
Project Author

You may still have a high resistance ground. Check with a meter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next