DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 14:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 19:44 
Project Author

Reaper996 wrote:
Here is my latest iteration of the 4S using the 12BH7 tube, the chassis is Padauk and top plate hand-punched and sanded.
Looks awesome! Love that padauk chassis.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 21:06 
Project Author

Good to know

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 21:36 

mwhouston wrote:
Good to know

Good to know..........what???

Soundbrigade wrote:
If the question hasn't been asked yet (or if it has), I just wonder - what about parallelling the triodes in each glass bottle. I have a chassis that was used for another preamp (the Elektor from mid 80's) and all are in place - transformer, rectifier (at least) socket, psu details, connectors .... and TWO holes for preamp tubes. Was considering using 6N2P.

Or you could try the cathode follower version.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5186&hilit=4s+cathode+follower

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 23:58 
Project Author

Chris65 wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
Good to know

Good to know..........what???

Soundbrigade wrote:
If the question hasn't been asked yet (or if it has), I just wonder - what about parallelling the triodes in each glass bottle. I have a chassis that was used for another preamp (the Elektor from mid 80's) and all are in place - transformer, rectifier (at least) socket, psu details, connectors .... and TWO holes for preamp tubes. Was considering using 6N2P.

Or you could try the cathode follower version.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5186&hilit=4s+cathode+follower

Parralel tubes. Good to know

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 02:39 

Chris65 wrote:

Will check that one up. The good thing with cathode follers are the higher SMACK!, but I could achieve that with parallelled tubes or use a 12BH7A (Russian 6N6P).

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 05:06 

Hi, I'm a beginner. can I power the anode with 110 volts DC?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 07:53 

oloppolo wrote:

If you mean rectifying the line voltage, this is EXTREMELY dangerous and is not to be done :hot:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 11:42 
Project Author

oloppolo wrote:
can I power the anode with 110 volts DC?
As Geek said, if you're talking about direct rectification of the AC mains without a power transformer, this is a very dangerous approach, and any such design is very tricky to get right. I strongly recommend against this approach. Now, if you have a transformer power supply that just returns lower voltage, this won't work with the 4S because the preamp really requires about 220 to 230 Vdc to work properly.

Since you say that you're a beginner I will offer this one piece of advice. If you want to work with vacuum tubes, the power transformer is kind of "the price of admission". There are some specialized projects that work with B+ voltages less than 100Vdc, but they are the exception, not the rule. And if you want to build anything to drive a speaker with more than a watt or two, you'll need to get that power transformer. This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be new or expensive, but you really do need one to move forward.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 12:16 
Project Author

With the use of an appropriate tranny, if a low voltage one, a voltage doubler cct. should work here.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 12:43 

oloppolo wrote:

I haven'¨t examined the design that thorougly so I can give an answer directly, but if you're looking for tubes that may work on lower voltages, look at ECC88/6DJ8 or ECC85/6AQ8/6N3P (Russian). I think the latter is actually made to run on lower voltages.It's not the most linear tube in the wworld, but it is often seen in preamps running on 30+/-10 Volts.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next