DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 09:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 08:00 

I would just not worry and enjoy if you do not hear a hum at the level you are listening at.

To address the question of the filaments wires. sorry no pic. I have not held a camera in years. I found this tip from Uncle Doug on youtube. Very informative and educational on tube amps. Just keep the filament away from the chassis as much as you can and be sure to cross any audio wires at 90 degrees and when you reach the tube sockets make a 90 degree bend and connect. Any AC line carries hum with it. Keep them away from audio lines as much as you can.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 17:54 

wdecho wrote:
I would just not worry and enjoy if you do not hear a hum at the level you are listening at.

Yes, that's what I will do for now but I still plan to do some improvements to eliminate or minimize the hum as much as possible. The itch to fiddle with my amps or build something new is always with me.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 18:52 

I have the same disease. I think it was the 4th tube project that I did not lay it out right. It was just beginner luck on the first 3 not to have any hum. I did watch a lot of youtube videos on tube builds and read everything I could find. I am starting on my next tube build next week after finishing a Firstwatt M2 build 2 weeks ago and building new crossovers today. Diy is fun for an old retiree.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 19:21 

wdecho wrote:
Diy is fun for an old retiree.

Yes yes it is. I really feel sorry for the ones who don't have such a hobby! After being very distressed on the odd occasion to consider shutting it all down, as a person from the 50's who carried an extension cord for a security blanket at age 3 yrs, if i live to be 120 i will die with a soldering iron in my hand and happy for it.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 06:53 

I came in possession of some ECC802S tubes and on a whim decided to stick one in this preamplifier. I was impressed with the sound. I am not knowledgeable enough on tube circuits where I felt comfortable leaving it in without consulting this board to see if any changes to the circuit needs to be done to use this tube.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 07:12 

The ECC802S is a special quality long life version of the ECC82/12AU7 only made by Telefunken & Tesla. Some later Chinese & JJ made tubes use this number also but are not the same quality.
No changes would be needed in the 4S to use any of these.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 08:02 

I thought as much, Thanks. I did not do much comparing to what I am now using a RCA 12AU7 clear top but I plan on doing so. I have JJ ECC802S'.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 11:02 

hi
i want to start build preamp

its 1st time
this preamp used for what and what kind of in/out used?
how can i use this preamps with condenser mics?
i cant see any xlr connections....and what about phantom power?

thanks a lot

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 01:42 

To use a microphone with XLR connections and phantom power you simply has to look for a special amp for that purpose.
The amp described here is a regular line (2V) preamp used to hook up CD-players, tuners and the like to a power amp.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 17:51 

Hello all,
I've scanned through this project thread and didn't see what I was searching for. I absolutely love this preamp but I'm considering a modification but before possibly reinventing something that may well have already been done I thought to ask. Has anyone built this with a third channel output? My thinking is to add another channel a sub output. Possible with a low pass adjustable filter and a line out level control.

Anyone tried this yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 40  Next