DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 16:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 07:17 
Project Author

Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie. All Australian made Miniwatt tubes (at least 50 years old) on a Murbue base. Black Lace was always going to be a very Ozzie build. All tubes: 6V6, 6SN7 and 5U4 are Ozzie made. The 6V6s are black glass and spent 40 years under a house nearby uncovered. To keep with the old school feel carbon film resistors are use throughout except for the cathode Rk which are 5W wire wounds. The PS is split at the Russian 4uf PIO first cap. Two 5H Hammond chokes split the PS to pass through a C-R-C filters. 100uf-6.8ohms (carbon film)-100uf. Even at the driver tube the PS is split in two for two drop down resistors each with a 47uf snubbed electro for storage and further filtering. Two 5H Hammonds handle each stream of HT. So as you can see a dual PS stream right from the first cap all the way through. Most filter electros are snubbed with 0.1uf high voltage polies. Only with my ear pressed hard into the bass cone can I hear the very slightest hum. From 1m nothing.

All hook-up wire was off-cuts from the power tranni and OPTs. The solder was from the 60s or 70s - lead, tin and copper. The sockets are a resin style, no ceramics around here! OPTs Edcor strayed black. The bypass caps on the 6SN7 are bypolar and the bypass caps (Ck) on the 6V6s are low ESR electros. The black lace the amp (Black Lace) has been photographed on will be cut to for a dust cover when the amp is not in use and will be weighted down with clear and emerald glass beads. A great job for my 85 year old mother who loves doing this sort of thing and is good at it.

Tomorrow I get the whole day to listen to the amp. All tubes should be run in but all other components are new. The sound for now playing laid-back jazz is crisp, fast and uncoloured. Tomorrow's hard core listening may reveal other characteristics. Now for some images.
Attachment:
Underneath_2.jpg
Attachment:
Underneath.jpg
Attachment:
BlackLace.jpg

Matt you get a mention again. I hope I have done your design justice.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 07:39 
Project Author

She looks beautiful Mark. :thumbsup:

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 08:00 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
She looks beautiful Mark. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow is the big listen day. So far very nice at low levels (family home).

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 08:59 
Editor

HI Mark, the build looks great. Looking forward to reading about the results.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 19:38 
Project Author

Forgot to mention, as usual the power tranni is rubber mounted to stop vibration getting into the tubes on the top plate. Also I usually put brass washers under the chromed domed securing nuts for the power tranni. This time I added copper ones on top of the brass - just for looks. And as with all my builds for quite a while now the amp has its own EMF\FRI power filter inside and ferrite choke on the power cord. Three large solid brass cones are the feet.
Attachment:
BlackLace_2_2.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 06:30 
Project Author

Not sure what is going on but had a audio buddy over today to listen with me. I had to change the phase of the main speakers to stop a suck-out in the lower mid. I'm going to talk to Matt about some of the late changes he made to the schematic and see if there is something missing or should it be all right.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2014, 10:17 
Project Author

The sound of a true vintage tube: I would normally post how an amp sounds regardless but Suncalc, the 6V6 amp designer, has asked me to post some listening notes. At least in this instants one person will be listening.

I can only build on first impressions which started with jazz style music; crisp, clean and fast. Nothing has change while listening to classical from; Vinyl, CD and high rez files. Matt really hit the nail on the head when he said he liked the amp with jazz voice and laid-back jazz. Female jazz voice is an absolute dream and my amp sits the vocalist dead in the middle of the sound stage BUT provides huge depth to her presences. Not only does she feel etched-out but there are layers of tone going way back. Deep contouring of sound and tone.

On my system the staging is very left and right with jazz female voice dead smack in the middle etched and very present. Classical is extremely enjoyable with live sound stage being well defined. You can see where the instruments are coming from but it is not overly defined.

Where the "Silver Dragon" (300B) is heavy handed, big, bold and full of gorgeous harmonics and " Abstinence" (6EM7) is delicate, light handed and respectful of the music, "Black Lace" (6V6) wants to cut and dice the music and serve it on a plate of stone. From "Black Lace" the music feels precise, tonally deep and sharply presented. I'm looking forward to many more hours of REAL music from Ozzie made 50 year old tubes. Thank the Lord!!!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2014, 10:47 
Project Author

I'll draw-up my PS with its HT split cct. Soon to be posted.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 20:03 
Project Author

More listening notes: listen to a Donizetti Opera - L'Elisir d'Amore with Pavarotti and Sutherland. A DECCA recording from 1971. I bought this new in the shrink wrap a few years back.

The voices throughout were fabulous especially a baritone, Dominic Cossa and orchestra big and beautiful. Pavarotti was in the left channel, Sutherland in the middle and Cossa on the right. Pavarotti was bleeding into the right channel or at least his reverb was. It sounded great. He must have been so big and loud. Black Lace made the three LP afternoon an absolute treat.

I have classical night at my place tomorrow night where I'm showing off my new 2-ways (VoXDeuX65). I was going to use the Silver Dragon (300B). But now I'm thinking the new amp?

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 07:45 

Nice amp and nice write up. I always enjoy your listening notes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next