DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 19:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 21:18 
Project Author

Hi, I have though in one build where looks came before function. If you can keep them about 3 -4 inches apart it is often not a problem. Personally, I put power trannies and outputs at opposite ends of the chassis when I can at the the very least put them at right angles to each other. One thing I may try is a mu metal shield between some that are close to see if it can mitigate the hum transfer. Part of my issue is I insist on amps that will respond flat to the 10-15 HZ range and have the rest of the system that does at least 20HZ. Hum can be really annoying to me.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 01:34 

Mwhouston, in Your place I will put PT on the back left corner, OTs on the back right corner one behind оther.
Outputs and inputs near to OTs. I understand Your box is small, but You can change Your decision, that will show that You are good project DIYer.

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 04:12 
Project Author

azazello wrote:
Mwhouston, in Your place I will put PT on the back left corner, OTs on the back right corner one behind оther.
Outputs and inputs near to OTs. I understand Your box is small, but You can change Your decision, that will show that You are good project DIYer.

Space is really tight. I may have another look though at this pint I'm OK with the layout.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 06:24 
Project Author

Just on case you thought Edcor are now are making black OPTs they are not. The theme for Black Lace is black. I couldn't really have blue OPTs now could I. A coat of primer and black paint later we have some black OPTs. I hope the sound is not too dark.

PostPosted: 18 May 2014, 01:37 
Project Author

This has been a slow build. But I have built another pair of 2-Way speakers and a tube\B1 preamp since I started it so its not like I've been slack. Not only that I have been as sick as a dog with three legs over the last week and still trying to recover. All "Get Well" cards will be gratefully received.

Drilling of both top and bottom plates is complete and the etch primer is on. Tomorrow the top coat (black gloss of course) goes on. I'm also hoping to sand and oil or vanish the Mirboo base. Just prepping the top and bottom plates and priming them left me weak so see how I am tomorrow. It would be real nice to get all these chores done so that on Thursday I can start assembly.

A bit of a disappointment; I was hoping to use an "80" rec tube. But the only 4 pin sockets I have are huge ceramic ones and I didn't have a stepper drill big enough to hole the top plate. So a 8pin socket has gone in. I have lots of old 5U4Gs etc. around so I can still use an old rec. tube. Just trying to keep the whole build old school.

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 22:38 
Project Author

A little more progress. Top and bottom plate sprayed and base prepped and varnished. The house smells like paint shop pro. I spray outside but lock the wet bits away in a room away from dust. Dust still sneaks under the door but that's all I can do.

Images to follow.

I'm going to spend an an afternoon with Bach, Intermezzo, Parley and Fostex. Plus a bottle of cheap sh!tty vino. Well 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 19:10 
Project Author

I'm about to assemble the amp. Here is a snap of the base and top and bottom plate. Pleased with the finish on all three.
Attachment:
Chassis.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 18:11 
Project Author

Amp is assembled but not wired. Top plate is not screwed down until I mount some caps and chokes underneath. More pics to come once wired.
Attachment:
Assembled.jpg
Attachment:
Assembled_2.jpg
Attachment:
Assembled_3.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 02:05 
Project Author

So far spent a couple of short days wiring the amp. Probably about 5 hours to go. I was hoping to use some mustard caps but on closer inspection they are only rated 160V. I have Russian PIO, "Brown turds" - brown poly propylene caps, Jensen copper, paper and oil and some orange drops to choose from. The CuPIO are large but I have room.

I will be splitting the the PS at the first filter cap - 8uf PIO. From this point each channel has a separate choke, and 2 X 100uf C-R-C filter stages. Also the HT supplied to the driver stage is split in two. This should gave the amp a great sound stage. There is no need for hookup wire of any length so I'm not using cotton coated solid core copper. I'm using off-cuts from the power tranni and OTPs for hookup.

It's getting real close. It will great to fire-up these fifty year old Ozzie tubes.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 04:02 
Project Author

Amp finished and worked first time. Photos to follow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next