DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 05 Dec 2016, 13:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 14:23 

Attachment:
IMG_5214_opt.jpg

I just uploaded a schematic of a circuit, and I need some help with it. The LED is a two color indicator, that is powered from the 6.3VAC filament supply for a 12AX7 tube. The LED indicates the condition of a "fat" switch that feeds the plates, and it is controlled by a switch operated SPDT relay. The schematic only shows the indicator circuit. This all worked before I had to change the ground reference. The two 100 ohm resistors used to connect directly to ground. How do I get the indicator working with this new arrangement?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 15:45 

Is it only the indicator that is not working? And does it matter that it is/is not tied into the circuit? In other words, could you use a DPDT relay to switch the indicator and the plate switch? Would that not have the same net function with less complexity?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 15:56 

I'm sorry. It is a DPDT relay that is being used. Everything else works perfectly. It doesn't work unless I connect the two 100 ohm resistors to ground, no matter what I've tried so far.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 16:25 

Probably need to reference the transistor emitters to the voltage divider where the 100 ohm resistors are now referenced.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 18:53 

famousmockingbird wrote:
Probably need to reference the transistor emitters to the voltage divider where the 100 ohm resistors are now referenced.

That makes hum, but the light works.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016, 22:24 

Okay I have another option.

Reference the transistor emitters to the negative side of the switch (anode side of diodes at bridge).

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 13:14 

Too much hum there, too. No hum when light not working.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 14:26 

Item Number: 504M02QA100
Brand: Cornell-Dubilier

Maybe something like this to clamp the hum? Just a random thought - There may be a hundred reasons why not, but I have used small chokes in the past to remove spurious signals.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 15:55 

Peter W. wrote:
Item Number: 504M02QA100
Brand: Cornell-Dubilier

Maybe something like this to clamp the hum? Just a random thought - There may be a hundred reasons why not, but I have used small chokes in the past to remove spurious signals.

A .5uf metalized film polyester capacitor? Where would I put it in the circuit?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 17:16 
Project Author

Can I ask what may be a silly question? Why don't you just run an LED directly off of the B+ line after the switch? I do it all the time on amps with SS rectifiers and B+ switches.

Cascade Tubes Blog