DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2018, 15:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 177  Next
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 11:17 

Bruce, Eric, thanks for the recommendations on the power supply.

I'm looking at chassis options for my build. I found some nice enclosures at diyaudio.com, and I made a quick mockup with Sketchup to see how the components would lay out. (see pics)

The chassis is the 2U Galaxy, and is about 13" wide and 11" deep, 3" tall: https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/g ... 2174804228

I was thinking the "quasi-heatsinks" on the sides of the chassis could be used for the LM317's
Power tubes (6L6s) are about 3.1" center-to-center, and the power tube center to edge of the transformers is about 3.1" as well.

Though it looks nice, I'm thinking it may be too small. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Attachment:
Oddwatt_small_chassis_front_v1.png

Attachment:
Oddwatt_small_chassis_v1.png

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 21:39 
Project Author

Hi, I personally would go for a bigger chassis. This is particularly the case when you try to stuff all the parts that go inside. Crowding causes two major problems IMO. First is heat build up. This is the killer of components. Second is that is hard to diagnose and trouble shoot any problems that arise. A third one is also frequently encountered, hum and noise because things are too close together. You chassis could fit the build, but I would much prefer about 2inches more in both length and width.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2017, 08:23 

I used a Hammond 17 x 12 x 3 and it worked out pretty well.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2017, 15:42 
Project Author

Hi, Nice looking build. That is about the size I used on the Stereo 50 a while back.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
Stereo 50 Feb 07 2013B.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 17:38 

A couple BOM questions:
1. The 470pf capacitor for the feedback circuit. What type of cap should should I use here? Ceramic, Mica, or Film? Also, what voltage rating should I use?
2. On the amp schematic, the 220uf capacitor, would a Nichicon audio electrolytic be a good choice? I was thinking the UKA series (High Grade Audio, High Temp)
3. On the amp schematic, what proximity should the 10UF capacitor be to output transformer? Does the length of wire between the cap and the output transformer matter for performance?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 11:18 
Project Author

Hi, I use mica or poly caps for the 470pf. Anything over 25 volts is fine. The 220uf should be 50 volts (25 is OK). Since it is in the signal path a good quality capacitor should be used. I use Silmac II caps, but many others will be fine...just not the 15 cent types. Ideally the 10uf capacitor ought be close to the output transformer as it acts as a low impedance path for any signal swings that may occur. Up to about 6 inches should be fine if the transformer is either the one specified in the project or one that has at least 18 gauge wires. BTW, the ground end should go to good ground as well.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 06:16 

Quick question. On a stereo build with a shared power supply, would it be interesting to add a fuse to protect each channel separatelly? For example a 0.5A fast blow on the 450V input of each OPT? Thanks!

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 08:31 

YEPP!
In my first serious tubeamp build (6550-Se monoblock), I used a fuse between PSU (B+) and OP tranny in each amp as I was strongly recommended to do so, so I guess that EACH amp half should have its transformer and OP tubes protected separately.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 14:26 
Project Author

Hi I agree, in a stereo build to fuse each set of outputs. If one tube fails then there is less chance of other things going with it. Another design feature in the amps is the use of 2 parallel resistors in the B+. This is not because it is cheaper....it is because if you have a slow failure one will always blow first the then the other. It is one place where 20% tolerance parts are fine and actually needed. You could of course use a 110 and a 91 in parallel and have the same effect. Also the size of the resistors is important. Normally this type of failure (slow) is not encountered, but it can. A slow failure may not blow the fuses. In a stereo build you will need to halve the resistance values. I would probably have the B+ string divided into two and the resistors and the cap that follows them for each channel. My personal stereo builds actually have two complete power filter strings...one for each channel. It will reduce cross talk...but is actually overkill for anyone who is not as picky as I am.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 07:57 

Great, will order the fuses and fuse holders!

Meanwhile I will be finishing the cabinet for my Stereo build + Forewatt.

Testing the fitting of the cabinet parts.
Attachment:
Cabinet.jpg

Finishing the parts. Glossy finish for the top plate and Matte for the rest.
Attachment:
Cabinet Parts.jpg

Finished home made output transformers.
Attachment:
OPTs.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 177  Next