DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 17:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 17:45 

Hello. Is there anyone still on this thread? I have some 6J6's laying around and would be interested to try this, but I'd love to know the resistor values.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 20:46 
Editor

Hi asc, welcome to the forum. The resistor values are shown in the schematic posted earlier on in the thread. viewtopic.php?p=4460#p4460
Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 14:01 

Hi ... I've never posted here yet....
I just built a 6J6 front end preamp phase inverter to a great little 6AK6 PP
and it seems to sound so wonderful too.
I'm using my MP3 input (max 800mvpp) and getting a gain of about 21 for 17vPP out to the 6ak6s

The 6j6 circuit was built just exactly as I found it in an online article.
http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect33.htm

here's the whole circuit:
http://www.pbpix.com/radio/6j6%20with%206ak6.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 13:26 
Editor

Hi pb, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your results.

Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 13:56 

I have seen the use of a Zener to fix the correct bias in an 6T9-PP amp.

Nice little amp - got a photo?

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2014, 14:48 

Is the topic starter still active? Because I would really love to give this schematic a try as a starter build. It is probably one of the best documented schematic available on the net, based on a 6j6 tube.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 11:59 

It would be nice to see a schematic for a power supply too.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 09:53 

This is probably an old post, but I was laughing about pin count reversal.

I too have done this, and to my frustration even with through-hole op amps, forgetting when flipping a board over and over.

I’m glad I keep running into statements on occasional tube datasheets reminding me top or bottom.

That’s ONE good thing about surface mount...no way to count from the back.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 06:19 

I am not normally so internet-challenged...(or didn’t used to be!)...doesn’t help to browse on a phone...just found the first three pages of this thread and am glad I did!

I had purchased some odd tubes a couple weeks ago: 8x 5964, which is a computer-service dual triode with common cathode. I had seen it described as similar to 6J6. Last week I misread a data sheet as having not only common cathode but also common grid, because the grids were drawn so close together they looked like one grid with six dashes...and I didn't believe the 1g and 2g pins were separate. This weekend I had resigned myself to parallelling the last free pair of electrodes, the plates/anodes.

I’m back to reality in having separate plates and grids.

I was looking at these for LTP, either SE as drawn by the OP (Bill?), or loosely like the Fender Bassman with differential input (1 or 2 instruments) 12AY7, which is 9 pin, and I think isolated cathodes, but wired together for the LTP.

I have no idea whether the 5964 sounds anything like anything else, starting with 6J6.

The other odd tubes in that purchase were 5x 7060’s, a 9-pin mobile use (12-15 V heater, 13.2 nominally) medium-mu triode+pentode. Appears to be have slightly less power dissipation rating (75%?) and different pinout than other 9-pin T-P like ECL8x used for audio.

Last night (Sunday evening Priority Mail delivery was a surprise!), a box of 6CB6A’s and 6CF6’s arrived. I was going to look at 6AK6 PP output schematics as a starting point. I think the 6CB6A’s are comparatively smaller regarding plate dissipation but still over 2W.

So this was a fortunate thread to find, for me...

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 06:33 

Murrayatuptown wrote:
I am not normally so internet-challenged...(or didn’t used to be!)...

Welcome to the, "When did I get this old?" club! :D

Quote:
doesn’t help to browse on a phone...

Phones are BANE to civil discourse on forums! Even forums that adhere strictly to web standards don't show up right on all phones :censored:

Quote:
I think the 6CB6A’s are comparatively smaller regarding plate dissipation but still over 2W.

Never tried them as outputs, just driving other output tubes. Now I'm curious as to what they sound like as finals themselves.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next