DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 22:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 15:37 

Hello all -

Any further words on this one??? Did the Power supply ever get posted or discussed? Read the thread a couple times and did not see anything. thx much!!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 11:31 
Editor

PS is solid state, a bit on the diodes: viewtopic.php?p=4438#p4438, choked supply but the capacitors used are not mentioned. You don't need that much current capacity from the choke. If you need a PS we can help you with one.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 12:04 

I have always liked the sound of 6j6 tubes - so I am always looking for good uses. More info on the PS would be great -- Cap values - choke values - is plate voltage mentioned?? thx.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 21:56 

Sorry about my absence guys!!

I stepped away from audio and DIY for quite a while now.

Hopefully these will help.

I also have a 2.5mb PDF that outlines the build procedure, is there any way to get that available?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 22:01 

Also here is one I built with all premium components.

Top box held Ampohm caps and film caps that were switchable.

Had Hexfred diodes, Panasonic power caps, panasonic and solen bypass caps, all 1% resistors except the vintage carbons...on the grid stopper...I think thats what they were called...man it has been so long, its not like riding a bike, you forget everything!!

Also a DC heater from tubecad.

You can see most of the parts.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 22:04 

Oh last thought...we found out a few months ago that our ACv was 127-129v at some places in the house...my voltage will probably differ from yours but the 6j6 can handle a wide range before going out of spec.

Expect between 190-201v on your B+

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 22:08 

I realized none of the other pretty ones were ever revealed...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:09 

jut joined as i`m getting into 6j6 based amps
how will a 6j6 work in a guitar distortion unit, how much more different than a 12a7 based triode?
thanks

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 20:12 
Project Author

Those really look great bill, I have been inspired enough by your preamp to make one of my own that includes a docking bay for my ipod. Because there was no power supply really specified at first I designed my own, it will be mosfet regulated at 200V, I want as little noise as possible since the docking bay gets mounted in the chassis and there is very little space for shielding.

I will post some pictures and a schematic of the entire thing when I get it up and running.

As for the question linusfran, other than the fact that the 6J6 is a 7 pin dual triode versus 9 pin like the 12AU7/12AX7, the 6J6 was not designed for audio circuits as far as I am concerned and compared with a 12AU7 it looks very different. :)

As for sound, I can't imagine it would sound at all "bad" but maybe not better than the 12AU7 or 12AX7, just different. Try it and see how it sounds ;)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 17:36 

It would be cool to have a power supply that was super quiet.

The base one certainly had some hum but the super-modified one with DC heaters was dead quiet.

As for sound differences...I would say they are close to the at/ax series...the beauty is the fact that you can find a pair of mullards for like 15 bucks or 100 russian tubes for the same price.

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next