DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 07:56 

I have a pair of tubes coming and I contacted Edcor about a custom pair of 600 ohm OPTs. I imagine if I buy more than a pair we could get a deal, we can cross that bridge when we get there though as I do not know what the custom tranny cost will be.

If anyone is interested let me know, it seems like a really good, but quirky tube but I am willing to try considering you get > power of a 300b with tubes that cost < $40 a pair (I got a pair for $32). I have also read that they are a more neutral tube.

I have not found many good designs out there and I think on this one PSU is key, the heaters require 4a at 6v!! If you guys want to do a "group" design we could probably come up with something pretty cool.

So....let me know!!

For those who don't know: the 6c33 is a 60w power tube that was used in MiG-25s. Apparently you do not want to use anything near the 60w but if they are operated 35-45w they will provide 8-12w SET and have a decent lifespan. They do not require any ridiculous voltage, 300-400 or so seems to be fine with most settling in the lower range around 320 or so.

There are several commercial offerings of this amp including Almarro and Promethius.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 19:36 
Editor

Interesting. Post a schematic. That is a crazy heater draw. Is that 4 amps per tube or for a pair?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 21:16 

Gio wrote:
Interesting... Is that 4 amps per tube or for a pair?

Gio,
If I read the data sheets right it is per tube. Although I found one just know showing the following:

Heater Characteristics
Heater voltage....................6.3 or 12.6 ac or dc
Heater current....................6.4 or 3.3 amps

I didn't find much in terms of schematics, so far 4 SE's and two OTL. My big concern is the potential cost of the iron. It might be fun to put together a forum build. Get a bunch of us to build an amp based on the same tube and schematic then compare them. We could all meet at Gary's (ejfud) to test them out on all of his beautiful speakers. Our own Burning Amp festival. :king:

Alan

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 22:11 

I just found a Push Pull Schematic

Alan

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 02:11 

It actually has a heater per triode so double it per tube from what I am understanding. :eek:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 08:54 

billnchristy wrote:
It actually has a heater per triode so double it per tube from what I am understanding. :eek:

Bill, You are spot on, it does have two heaters. Wow!
Attachment:
heaters 6c33c-b.jpg

I am thinking that while I would love to build a P-P amp, a SET might be a better choice.

Alan

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 09:59 

I cannot imagine the heat from 4 of them...though I suppose you could push/pull from one valve couldn't you?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 14:46 
Banned

billnchristy wrote:
I cannot imagine the heat from 4 of them...though I suppose you could push/pull from one valve couldn't you?

It only has one plate, so no.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 15:57 

Oh yeah!

:D

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 14:45 

Bill,

I see we don't have much interest brewing here so far. I thought this could be a fun project for a number of us to try. I would still be interested. Have you heard anything back from Edcor? Where you thinking SE, PP or some other configuration? Did you get a chance to look over the sites I linked to?

let me know what we need to do for a next step.

Alan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next