DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 06:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GU29 Amplifier
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 00:14 

Hi, Les, thanks for your impressions.

The amp's not finished yet, for know I'll keep it in tests, but soon I'm gonna finish it.
For the anode I'll use some anode caps, still don't have them.
I'll come back with more pictures and measuring parameters.

Have a nice day and good music!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 21:17 
Project Author

I'm with Les, get the HT covered. I like the amp though.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 20:01 

There are anodecaps to buy for the 829, 832 and similar tubes, but often they are more expensive than the tube.
Here's one shop on Aliexpress that sells that kind of caps: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/bakelite-tube-caps-for-fu29-829-829b-fu32-832/462183397.html

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 20:47 
Project Author

Soundbrigade wrote:
There are anodecaps to buy for the 829, 832 and similar tubes, but often they are more expensive than the tube.
Here's one shop on Aliexpress that sells that kind of caps: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/bakelite-tube-caps-for-fu29-829-829b-fu32-832/462183397.html

I think for $5 or $6 a cap they are well worth it. I think from a visual point of view they could enhance the look of the amp. My 807 amp has $7 second-hand tubes and ceramic top caps. I think the caps cost more than the tubes but look good and are very functional.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 21:08 

If you want some I can ship a few to you, but we are in St Andrews, NB, Canada right now.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 23:13 

Hi everybody!

Soundbrigade, thanks for your anode caps offer, but I think I'll find them on a local store or mabe, I'll make them myself.
Anyway, the anode caps are the last thing missed from my amplifier.
The amp is a Push-Pull, GU29 are the final stage, for the driver I used an dual j-fet opamp, LF353.
That's why my amp is a hybrid amplifier, but it sounds great with deep bass and kick trebble.
I want to thanks to Mr. Lazaroiu for the schematic and OTPs and I'l give you some pictures with different construction stages and the finished amp, exccept the anode caps.

Sorry for my poor english and enjoy the music.

Best wishes from Romania!
Peter.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 03:02 
Project Author

Piotr67: there is a lot of things I like about your amp. The timber panelling looks good. Tubes are crazy. How does the amp sound?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 04:40 

I can say the amp sound over my expectations!
I thought if the GU29 tubes are beam power double tetrodes and they are made for the radiofrequency range, to use these tubes in audio could deliver a SS sound. But the sound is warm and full of bass and treble, like dedicate audio tubes, without any tone control, equlizer, etc.

I'm pretty proud that I builded it!

Cheers!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 05:59 
Project Author

I'll take a better look at the schematic. How many watts do you think?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 06:34 

I estimate arround 10 or mabe 12 Watt.

In the original schematic, the Ua is 350V and the power is 20 Watts, but my power transformer deliver only 295V, after the bridge and 2x330uF/400V caps. So, I feed the anods with only 295 V and that's give to me enough power and, like a plus, the tubes are working easy, I estimate a long GU29's life. :headphones:
For the opamp driver, I have a small regulated dual supply, +/-15V with LM7815 and LM7915 regulators with 2x4700uF/40V caps and a small resin encapsulated transformer with 18v-0-18v.

There is no hum, hiss or anything else. The amp is completlly silent. Mabe because I used a star grounding? :)
Because the schematic is Lazaroiu's concept and simulation, if I'll have Mr. Lazaroiu accept, I will post the schematic here.

Thanks for understanding.