DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 08 Mar 2021, 04:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C3m preamp
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 02:13 
Project Author

If you wish to follow how this thread was started you may want to go here first: http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4151

I have ordered sockets and tubes (4 of) for the preamp. I'll re-post Matt's schematic here for those not wanting to wade through the previous thread.

Matt thanks once more for the effort you took in designing a preamp around this (yet another) mysterious looking tube. For me it's another standard PS (I now build them with my eyes closed) based around an external 24VAC 1A wall wart. I should have no problems producing the 20V for the filament at 125mA. When the tubes and sockets arrive I'll progress with the build.

In the meantime I will knock-up the PS and develop the 20VDC for the filament.
Attachment:
C3M schematic.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: C3m preamp
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 04:37 

Nice and simple :)

But why the volume control on the output side? :confused:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 05:07 
Project Author

This comes from Pass (I think - memory is drifting a little). The signal you receive from your CD player or phono preamp is all you have to work with. Why reduce it then amplify it/ Why not amplifier the the whole signal, intact and then reduce it down to the levels you want when it is bigger and able to drive the next stage.

Your preamp has to able to handle the full input signal, unattenuated, generally around 2 to 3V.

I might be wrong about Pass.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 05:22 

It was Pass :)

But he uses 5K pots and not 250K ones.

Consider cable capacitance and the low pass filter effect may be seriously rolling off the highs.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 05:48 
Project Author

Matt is probably better to answer this. But it is to do with the drive capabilities of the single stage amp. I use to build and are yet to compete one last, two stage 12AX7 preamps. The last stage was a cathode follower. Great drive capabilities into low impedance loads.The single stage tube preamp does not have a high drive capability.

Pass probably uses 5K pots for SS preamps. Tubes have a higher output impedance and will not drive low impedance loads well.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 16:40 

This has to be a very special pre-amplifier with a unique sound! :D

Please let us know your listening impressions as soon it sings to you...

Have fun! :)

Miguel

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 16:57 
Project Author

It would want to be exceptionally good to beat the 6N7 - "Heavy Metal" preamp.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 23:29 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
But why the volume control on the output side?
This is simple. Most potentiometers are carbon devices and this means that they are the most noisy elements in the circuit. The circuit is really two stages, an amplifier and a lossy control. The total noise figure of the circuit is dominated by the first element in the chain. By placing the noisy potentiometer after the high gain amplifier, the potentiometer's contribution to the overall noise figure is divided by the gain of the first stage. In effect one gets about a 20dB noise figure improvement from putting the control on the output rather than the input.

For more information on noise figure, look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_figure). At the bottom of the description is Friis' formula for cascaded noise figure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_formulas_for_noise).

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 00:40 
Project Author

Thanks Matt.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 02:20 

Suncalc wrote:
Geek wrote:
But why the volume control on the output side?
This is simple. Most potentiometers are carbon devices and this means that they are the most noisy elements in the circuit.

Incorrect... the tube is.

Use conductive plastic for real low noise :)

Quote:
The circuit is really two stages, an amplifier and a lossy control. The total noise figure of the circuit is dominated by the first element in the chain. By placing the noisy potentiometer after the high gain amplifier, the potentiometer's contribution to the overall noise figure is divided by the gain of the first stage. In effect one gets about a 20dB noise figure improvement from putting the control on the output rather than the input.

High gain, yes. But a line stage?

Cheers!