DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Oct 2020, 03:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 14:44 
Project Author

Hi, Pretty nice looking board. It doesn't seem like the holes are plated through though. Just remember to solder both sides if they are not.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 20:46 

Thank you sir,
I received my parts a day early, but I'm still waiting on my tubes and transformers...got some soldering done this evening.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 18:57 

I am going to make this my first amp. Since I am going to put it in my cubicle at work, I would like to show off the trannies and tubes on top. Will I still get the same sound quality as long as I follow good building techniques?

Bryan

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 18:09 

BIGslim wrote:
I am going to make this my first amp. Since I am going to put it in my cubicle at work, I would like to show off the trannies and tubes on top. Will I still get the same sound quality as long as I follow good building techniques?

The only reason I didn't do this is due to the bells for the transformers in the BOM are not available...At least I couldn't find any. I think the transformers are quite ugly, but if you know where to get the bells, I'm all for it too. If you look at gofar99's build, you can see its a mixture of P2P, perf and a production PCB...I just like making my own boards so if I ever decide to sell my amp, it will be easier. I think the sky is the limit for assembly, within reason...You do understand that this amp can kill you fairly easily, right? You mentioned it's your first...

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 20:12 

I'm good on the electrical safety side of things. I doubt there are any end bells, so I will make some small cases for the trannies.

Bryan

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 20:46 

BIGslim wrote:
I'm good on the electrical safety side of things. I doubt there are any end bells, so I will make some small cases for the trannies.

understood... please share your trannny case ideas? I would love to show em off...

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 21:13 

I'm building my parts list now. As soon as I am done buying my kids' Christmas presents, I can start on mine. Lol. Also, I've got one friend with wood working tools, and another with a metal working setup. Figure I can bribe them into letting me use their stuff.

As for the tranny covers, either I find something pre-made, or go the route of the guy on here who did the Transformer Amp.

Bryan

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 21:39 
Project Author

Hi, There are no end bells for these trannies. There is no reason you can't fabricate some sort of enclosures though. I have seen everything from round ones made from tin cans to pro quality square ones. Use your imagination. BTW my project was indeed a mix of construction types. This is mostly true because I have all the spare parts from some of the commercial kits and use them to simplify some parts of the build. Normally the power supply is on such a board. The rest of the time I like to place most components on perf boards to make the build more durable. I do point to point on the tube sockets as they are usually mounted on either the chassis or a metal bracket.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 21:55 

Bruce,
sir, what fuse should I use in my build?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 22:18 

I've done my own PCBs and point to point, but never perf board. I always thought it was for prototyping. Guess I have something else to learn. :)

Bryan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 67  Next