DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 29 Oct 2020, 02:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 08:04 

Hello all,
Im planning to etch my PSU and amp boards for this awesome project and a couple of questions come to mind. What would be the optimum trace width for the AC in and B+? ...also, would the use of a ground plane be OK? How close can a ground plane be to B+ and not see any arcing? I will draw up a PCB and post it for critique, that may be easiest...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 09:10 
Project Author

Hi , In this particular project the circuit is very forgiving. I personally like to use traces that are around 2mm wide or larger. A ground plane is fine but not needed as the gain is low and it uses high level signals. At the low B+ levels used arcing is not a big issue. Personally I would not bother with a ground plane, but if you want I would use about a 3-5 mm separation from other traces that handle the B+.

Your idea of posting the pcb diagram is a good one and we can all give it a look see.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 20:29 

Sir,
here is what I came up with...I included the expressPCB schematic to ID the parts, thank you... Rob
PS, if this board makes it to etch, the dimensions are 6.5" x 3"

highlighted GND

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 21:53 
Project Author

Hi, The only thing I see is that C12 and C13 should be connected right at the pins on the tube heater sockets. They can be low voltage ceramics or polys and most are quite small (about 5mm square typically).

Good layout on the board.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 22:12 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, The only thing I see is that C12 and C13 should be connected right at the pins on the tube heater sockets. They can be low voltage ceramics or polys and most are quite small (about 5mm square typically).

Good layout on the board.

thank you sir... I will redraw and take the heater current from the board and point to point the caps directly to the tube socket pins...thanks for the advice on the size of the caps. I just bought handful of Wima polypropylene to keep the parts order simple, and I will post a pic of the redrawn board.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 22:47 

I think I have it this time...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 09:24 
Project Author

Hi, Looks fine. Remember that the regulator in the heater circuit will get fairly hot. I use a small (about 1/2 inch on each side and 1 inch tall) "U" shaped heat sink on mine. In theory the regulator ought to be able to handle the power without it, but it is really close to the max without a heat sink. A cheap precaution.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 15:49 

Thank you sir,
another question... is there any orientation of the output transformers in relation to the main transformer that should be observed?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 21:25 
Project Author

Hi, Yes to some extent. The best orientation is (one) as far away as is reasonable (two) the core laminations need to be at right angles to each other. so since the power transformer has a horizontal orientation the outputs ought to be vertical. The outputs themselves can have the same orientation as long as they are an inch or so apart.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 20:50 

gofar99 wrote:
Hi, Yes to some extent. The best orientation is (one) as far away as is reasonable (two) the core laminations need to be at right angles to each other. so since the power transformer has a horizontal orientation the outputs ought to be vertical. The outputs themselves can have the same orientation as long as they are an inch or so apart.

Good listening
Bruce

Thank you again sir,
I got my boards etched earlier this afternoon...they turned out good with a nice clean etch. I didn't think about the actual copper clad until today. The only stuff I have on hand is 1 oz copper foil on .060 laminate, I hope its adequate...anyway, I set down the traces at 2 mm. Here is a look at the finished boards. I wont get my parts until Thursday and the iron from Edcor is "in processing / production" and I have no idea how long that will take...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 67  Next