DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 14:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 18:46 
Project Author

PCR wrote:
I have to 24V AC @ 1A tranni. Going to use one of them as 24 V AC Wall Wart and one of them as PT1. Can it be a problem above 150 mA of PT1?

I wouldn't go below 150mA but yes bigger is OK.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 00:36 

My build is proceeding. I have two questions if you don't mind Mark. I am at very beginning and this is my first. But learning.

1) In the schematic of preamplifier section 10k res goes to grid, 1k2 goes to cathode and 100k goes to plate right? But where the heater is connected to? And also where the heater center-tap (pin 9) connects to?
2) In the schematics of preamplifier section do all the signal grounds unite? And if so where is the uniting point? And does signal ground unites with chassis ground? I assume chassis grounds are only present in the power supply section and they all unite and connect to chassis, but what about signal ground points?

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 04:32 
Project Author

The heater pins are 4 and 5. Pin 9 is the centre tap for the heaters. At pins 4 and 5 apply 12V but if you short 4 and 5 together then apply 6V at 9 and 4 and 5 shorted.

The negative of the input and output signal go to PS ground. Not sure about some of your questions. Bring all grounds to one point, signal and PS.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 13:34 

Ok i understand clearly and apllied. In the power supply schematic, after PT1 there are four 0.01 uF caps connected to every pin of bridge rectifier right?

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 17:37 
Project Author

Rectifier ridges are generally more noisy then ultra-fast soft recovery diodes. To reduce noise in the bridge 0.01uf 630V poly caps are placed across each pole on the bridge. This means that each diode part in the bridge has a cap across it. It is the same with electrolytic caps. They should have 0.1uf high voltage polies across them.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 07:25 

Suncalc wrote:
Well, I have another update to the tube list for the 4S Universal. This is a special case because you can only use this tube if your heater supply is capable of putting out a full 600mA into the filament. If so, the 12BH7 tube will expand your tube rolling capabilities. This tube is halfway between the 12AU7 and the 12AV7 from a gain perspective and is very low distortion. I don't have any on hand but if someone tries it, be sure to let us know how it sounds.

with the 12bh7 i got some hum...i snubbed all the filter section with 0.1/630v mallory and the hum just gone...sounds like12au7,but more open and better highs.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 16:56 
Project Author

gonzalo guerrero wrote:
with the 12bh7 i got some hum...i snubbed all the filter section with 0.1/630v mallory and the hum just gone...sounds like12au7,but more open and better highs.

This addition does expand the 4SU's tube-roll roll. I wonder if there are any more out there but even with the original list, Matt kindly put together, there are plenty of choices.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 01:01 

mwhouston wrote:
gonzalo guerrero wrote:

This addition does expand the 4SU's tube-roll roll. I wonder if there are any more out there but even with the original list, Matt kindly put together, there are plenty of choices.

marvelous!!!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 11:35 

I still don't understand this preamp design?

You can't just plug a 12AU7 into a 12AX7 circuit they are completely different, this is ridiculous. The only similarity is pinout and heater characteristics, that's it. The circuit can only be optimal for one tube so why plug anything else into it?

I see uneducated guitar players doing the same thing, substituting a 12AU7 or a 12AT7 into a 12AX7 circuit. Dumb.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 17:16 
Project Author

famousmockingbird wrote:
I still don't understand this preamp design?

You can't just plug a 12AU7 into a 12AX7 circuit they are completely different, this is ridiculous. The only similarity is pinout and heater characteristics, that's it. The circuit can only be optimal for one tube so why plug anything else into it?

I see uneducated guitar players doing the same thing, substituting a 12AU7 or a 12AT7 into a 12AX7 circuit. Dumb.

You can roll many tubes because the design is NOT optimised for any one tube. It's a universal design. But the design may slightly favour one tube over another.

The original 4S designs are optimised for a specific tube not the 4SU.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next