DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 18:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PoddWatt Build
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 22:19 

My first build and takeoff on the PoddWatt amplifier design which I paired with bookshelfs based on the Overnight Sensations. The sound is quite remarkable. I'm driving the audio from my Popcorn Hour NMT.

Lots of fun designing this package and challenges cutting aluminum on my homemade CNC for the first time.

My blog is here Tube Type Stereo Amp for anyone who takes an interest

The OddShape of this amp is borrowed from the tail end of a Fender Telecaster.

PoddWatt design: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/EL84- ... -Tube-Amp/
Overnight Sensations: http://sites.google.com/site/undefiniti ... nsationmtm
Attachment:
IMG_0007_8_9-mono-500kb.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: PoddWatt Build
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 13:00 
Project Author

Hi, Really cool chassis. :thumbsup: My skills with metal working are no where as good. If I did that, it would look like something from a car collision. I'm glad you like the sound. The quality of the sound rivals many more costly amps. It was a pleasant surprise when I built the prototype. BTW it still works perfectly and was in my office (before I retired) for nearly two years and everyone loved it.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 14:44 

Tnx Bruce, the build was pretty flawless. I added a 33R@5W across the B+, knowing that if I didn't I would eventually do myself some harm.
The interesting part of the chassis is down below. I wasn't very confident about some of the spacings, and the small outline really pressed me on space, so I created some flexibility to move things around.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 21:15 
Project Author

Hi You make a good point that I have mentioned before. Make sure you have enough room in the chassis to allow for a clean build and especially with tube designs allow for heat flow. Things can get quite hot inside and fail. My rule of thumb is lay out all the big pieces like you would want them to be and measure the size of a chassis that would fit, then add 25% to each dimension. It usually works rather well. :)

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 13:47 
Editor

Great looking PoddWatt holobox. Congratulations and enjoy the amp.

Cheers