DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 11:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 18:21 
Project Author

Hi, It should be OK. The biggest problem with long traces is in the signal area. Ones for heaters and B+ are only problems when they are near signal ones.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 08:23 

metaldog99 wrote:
Very nice build.

I am considering doing PCB's for my build, and have some questions on your build:

1. Which schematic version did you use for your build?
2. Where did you source the chassis with vented lid?

Info appreciated.

Phil

Hi There. Sorry for the late answer.

1) I have used the latest schematics (2017) and developed the board on Kicad.
I agree with Bruce. Don't order a bunch of PCBs. I have went though at least 4 board mods until I was satisfied.

2) The cabinet was handmade using 1/8" thick aluminum sheet.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 10:01 

Thanks for the information.

I am still debating on whether to go PCB or point-to-point. Single board PCB runs are a bit pricey if I factor in several revisions required.

Did you source your PCB's online? The cheapest I've found is PCBway. I've also looked at Bay Area Circuits as an option.

Thanks again,

Phil

victorzwk wrote:
metaldog99 wrote:
Very nice build.

I am considering doing PCB's for my build, and have some questions on your build:

1. Which schematic version did you use for your build?
2. Where did you source the chassis with vented lid?

Info appreciated.

Phil

Hi There. Sorry for the late answer.

1) I have used the latest schematics (2017) and developed the board on Kicad.
I agree with Bruce. Don't order a bunch of PCBs. I have went though at least 4 board mods until I was satisfied.

2) The cabinet was handmade using 1/8" thick aluminum sheet.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 12:35 

What should the minimum voltage ratings be for the capacitors that connect to the LT1085 ports? (circled in red)

My assumption was 16V - 25V is ok for all except the 4.7uF paralleled with the 100K which should be 250V.

Attachment:
Capture.PNG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 13:52 

The general rule of thumb is that the applied voltage on an electrolytic should'nt be more than 85-90% of the cap's rated value.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 15:59 
Project Author

Hi, I use 25 volt ones there except the one off the B+ and there I use 250 volts. Electrolytics are funny things.....you certainly don't want to go over the ratings, but you don't want to get ones that are really excessively rated higher. Unless they are non-polar some voltage is need to make them work properly. Another factor is cost. A 10,000uf 500 volt cap is both huge and expensive.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 16:47 

Thanks for the advice - all help is welcome.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 20:20 
Project Author

Hi, just out of curiosity...I see you are in Arizona. Mind if I ask where?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018, 20:49 

metaldog99 wrote:
What should the minimum voltage ratings be for the capacitors that connect to the LT1085 ports? (circled in red)

My assumption was 16V - 25V is ok for all except the 4.7uF paralleled with the 100K which should be 250V.

Attachment:
Capture.PNG

The caps at the output and middle pin of 1085 will never see more than 5v unless the 1085breaks down
so anything at 10v or higher are relaiable and 100% safe

The input regulator caps will see the rectified voltage feed into the 1085 which is not much. 25v is good.
Its 100% same as the heaters are disconnected from 68v bias

The 68v bias brings the cathode and heater voltage diffrential down to help reduce noise in valves, also vlaves have max heater to cathode voltage before breakdown, which is typically 150v or higher

the 47uf at the two ends of regulted 5v output grounds heater noise to reduce noise in amp. any noise at heaters tend to go into amp. cap is like short in ac(sound) but not dc

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 02:24 

KochiyaYamato wrote:
metaldog99 wrote:

Attachment:
Capture.PNG

The caps at the output and middle pin of 1085 will never see more than 5v unless the 1085breaks down
so anything at 10v or higher are relaiable and 100% safe

The input regulator caps will see the rectified voltage feed into the 1085 which is not much. 25v is good.
Its 100% same as the heaters are disconnected from 68v bias

The 68v bias brings the cathode and heater voltage diffrential down to help reduce noise in valves, also vlaves have max heater to cathode voltage before breakdown, which is typically 150v or higher

the 47uf at the two ends of regulted 5v output grounds heater noise to reduce noise in amp. any noise at heaters tend to go into amp. cap is like short in ac(sound) but not dc

Thanks so much for the explanations. They make sense and help with overall understanding of the circuit elements.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 67  Next