DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 10:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6EM7 power amp
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 09:03 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Those are later Shuguang.

Yours looks late 80's to early 90's.

We are going to get bumped of this thread.

Geek: is that a good thing.?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 21:53 
Project Author

Funny story: I had been contemplating building Suncalc's 6V6 on an Acacia chopping brd. Like Arabella's. I also had to get my mother a new chopping brd old people just can't part with old stuff. Mum's chopping brd has to be over twenty years old and not in good nick.

So I go back to the store which sells the Acacia chopping brds to get one for my next project and cheaper, lighter brd for mum. The guy remembers because I told him then what I was going to do with it. He tells me and then said he sold the last one a few days back. I had been thinking about visiting the store for a weeks now. And when he took over the shop the previous owner had accidentally ordered a pallet load, hundreds of them, which has taken the current store owner, three years to sell off.

Now that's funny. But stop laughing because they are no longer available and therefore no more to be found. Oh well I'll just have to do it all another way. Maybe a more conventional build.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 06:09 

Ooop, missed this post :blush:

mwhouston wrote:
Geek wrote:
Those are later Shuguang.

Yours looks late 80's to early 90's.

We are going to get bumped of this thread.

Geek: is that a good thing.?

Maybe. They were hit-or-miss back then.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 19:08 
Project Author

I had stated that I was finished with the 6EM7. I haven't yet sold off the last two pairs of my NOS tubes and just recently bought another cool looking chopping brd. Another 6EM7 may be in the wind. What I particularly do like about this amp is you only need two tubes for a power amp particularly if you chose SS rectification. The other thing I like is its great sound.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 20:15 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Well I have sad news. Like an old lover, it's time to let go and move on.
mwhouston wrote:
I had stated that I was finished with the 6EM7. I haven't yet sold off the last two pairs of my NOS tubes and just recently bought another cool looking chopping brd. Another 6EM7 may be in the wind.
I just knew that you had at least one more in you. :up: Can't wait to see it.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 21:32 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
Well I have sad news. Like an old lover, it's time to let go and move on.
mwhouston wrote:
I had stated that I was finished with the 6EM7. I haven't yet sold off the last two pairs of my NOS tubes and just recently bought another cool looking chopping brd. Another 6EM7 may be in the wind.
I just knew that you had at least one more in you. :up: Can't wait to see it.

The acid test for wooden top plate is "can a drill a 1" hole in it without splintering". In the next few days I will give this a try. After building one amp on a heavy wooden top plate I'm aware of the tricks and traps involved. It has to easier second time round. Also this build relies on the fact that the guy who bought Arabella is happy for me to keep one pair of tubes. I did promise him two pairs.

What about a 6EM7 amp without power tranni and SS rectification? Our mains Voltage is 240V. Not had to develop 300V plus. Also I have some heavy duty Chinese OPTs which will suit.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 22:18 
Project Author

OK you have seen it all before. Pretty ordinary build. I have some large 15W (5K\8ohm) Chinese open frame OPTs which will reside attached to the inside of the wooden base on rubber grommets for isolation. Also a small power filter will sit under the power tranni under the top plate. Rec tube - 5Y3 sovtek.Top plate colour? Don't all cringe, this time simple black!

Nice Sylvania NOS 6EM7s on ceramic sockets, 20H 100mA Hammond choke and 144mA power Tranni. A bit of gold bling at the back for the speakers, small power switch and fuse. Time to mark it all out for an appointment with the drill press.

OMG I nearly for to disclose the name. Now its time to cringe: "Abstinence" to remind me that four of the one type of amp is enough. Abstain. Time to move on.

Attachment:
layoutI.jpg
Attachment:
layoutII.jpg
Attachment:
layoutIII.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 07:11 

What are the rough dimensions of the metal plate?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 17:28 
Project Author

RossD wrote:
What are the rough dimensions of the metal plate?

30 X 22cm.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2013, 07:45 
Project Author

I would like to build a headphone amp using this tec. tube : http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML5U4G.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next