DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 03:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6EM7 power amp
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 02:37 

Mark, you mentioned the Arabella did not have quite the depth or clarity of the Paris. By depth do you mean soundstage depth?
Also has it improved with further run in? How does it go involvement- wise against your previous amps?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 05:26 
Project Author

Sound Barrier wrote:
Mark, you mentioned the Arabella did not have quite the depth or clarity of the Paris. By depth do you mean soundstage depth?
Also has it improved with further run in? How does it go involvement- wise against your previous amps?

Arabella got a lot better after about 10 hours. Initially it was ordinary then it really hit its stride. Soundstage is deep and (in most orchestral) speakers disappear. As I may have explained it treats all music with a light tought. No heavy harmonics or super lush mids. Clear, clean and relaxed. But I think Paris may hold the upper hand but at a price for all out performance. Paris was easily 50% more expensive and is a true integrated. Arabella has better OPTs. Though I loved Paris to death and would be happy with either if a gun was held to my head and forced to choose-Arabella. It sounds even more open and simpler.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 21:05 
Project Author

I have been asked to take Arabella to a friend's (Russell's) house who also bought my C3m preamp (Menatzchim) and the first of the SE UL EL34 amps (retro34UL). We were discussing power and speaker impedance and I mentioned I thought Arabella would have put out more than 1.8W.

Then Russell pointed out that I tested Arabella on an 8.2ohm resistor and the OPTS are rated for 6ohms. Therefore probably if I tested Arabella on a 5.6ohm load I may have seen a higher power output. I reckon Russell is right. I feel better now. We will see how well Arabela goes driving Russell's big KEFS tomorrow.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 08:25 
Project Author

Russell purchased Arabella today after a number of AB comparisons with the EL34 amp. Once more I was impressed with how well this amp drove the big KEF boxes. Also I was impressed how good the KEFs sounded.

For me I would be happy with either amp both sound excellent. The retro34UL amp had a more lush mid range where Arabella was a little dryer and clearer in the mids. It would probably all get down to personal taste.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 18:45 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Russell purchased Arabella today after a number of AB comparisons with the EL34 amp.
Mark;

I seem to have noticed that you have a problem holding on to these little amps. They must be bloody good. It is safe to assume that Arabella was not your last 6EM7 build?

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2013, 08:49 
Project Author

Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:
Russell purchased Arabella today after a number of AB comparisons with the EL34 amp.
Mark;

I seem to have noticed that you have a problem holding on to these little amps. They must be bloody good. It is safe to assume that Arabella was not your last 6EM7 build?

Well I have sad news. Like an old lover, it's time to let go and move on. I have thought about this the whole day. To help decide Russell is going to take all my last 6EM7 tubes. And some nice ones at that.

Ahead: my twists on Matt's 6V6, another EL34 amp, 6C33C and 211 amp. All of which I have power trannies and\of OPTs plus many other required parts.

Matt may I please ask you to come up with a 211 design. I'll make a deal with you. Start a thread, progress us through the design proceedure and I will start building ahead of the other projects. My 211s (Chinese made) I have had for years plus thier ceramic gold plated sockets. I have thier Edcor OPTs and a toroid tranni custome wound for 1200V. Images of the 211 to follow.

Matt, do we have a deal?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2013, 19:00 
Project Author

I know it is off thread but I promised an image of my Chinese made 211s. If anyone recognizes the manufacturer please let me know. I have had them for many years and they may be early Shuguang. The box they came in is plain cardboard. Sorry no more off thread.
Attachment:
211Tube.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 04:14 

Looks like a generic Shuguang to me.

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 08:55 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Looks like a generic Shuguang to me.

Geek: I'm with you. Is there anyway I can prove this? I'll take a look at the tubes they have on offer to see if I can spot a similar tube.

I did find this. Looks familiar. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Matched-Shuguang-211-Vacuum-Tubes-/221180322510?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337f5fe2ce

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 20:17 

Those are later Shuguang.

Yours looks late 80's to early 90's.

Work: Classic Valve Design

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next