DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 02:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6EM7 power amp
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 05:27 
Project Author

I'm changing the name of the new amp from Abstinence to David because David slew Goliath today. I took Abstinence out to Dave's to see how it would go driving his 400lb each 6' dual 12" Focal woofers lead lined Osborn speakers. It drove them with ease and drove them loud. We were playing just as loud as Dave does with his $13K quad 300B monoblocks and the amp never sounded like it was straining or clipping, even softly clipping. And there was a ton of bass. At one point in an operatic piece, Tosca, the floor actually rumbled. All with only a few watts.

Thankfully the massive Osborns are 94db efficient but this was an incredibly impressive afternoon of music. Dave said of the six or so amp I have taken to his place, including a tube\chip amp this is the best amp ever. He was incredibly impressed. Dave's system cost $40K and we put his new Pro-Ject RPM 10.1 TT (I want one) to work with its Sure V15 MKIII and new stylus. What a day. Abstinence is a keeper.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 05:59 
Project Author

He is a poor quality image of Abstinence (front and center) driving the massive Osborns and associated gear - try La Fontaine CD player tube preamp (driving Abstinence) and Audio Aero 60W quad 300B monoblocks.
Attachment:
AbstinenceOsborn.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 06:00 

I love it when that happens. Congrats! :beerchug:

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 06:30 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
I love it when that happens. Congrats! :beerchug:

Geek, always love your comments and your posts. In the past these juggernauts have eaten one of my low power amps (6AS7 SET - KiSharn, now in a foster home). I was really worried because I think the the big speakers are capacitive (current leads voltage). Not something low power amps really enjoy. But, surprise, surprise (piled on) it was like a marriage made in heaven. We just kept saying it the whole afternoon how incredibly good it sounded. And it could have gone so, so bad.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 08:45 

Thanks, mate! :D

I so wish the 6EM7 and it's higher-mu-gain-tube cousin, the 6FD7 had modern equivalents.

Them darned things have pwnd at more audiofests than I can remember (literally - I have to browse my albums where "Baby Amp" [6FD7] kicked a 300B's arse in peer review).

But more plentiful - 6CW5/PL86: little EL34's sonically in PP (in SE, they suck).... dirt friggin' cheap, but DO NOT exceed 260V Vsg or Va.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 16:56 
Project Author

Geek: just put in a bid on eBay for 10 X Samsung 6EM7s but don't tell anyone. I said Abstinence would be my last.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 20:02 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
... don't tell anyone. I said Abstinence would be my last.
Never apologize for doing a good thing. ;)

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 20:24 

Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

Yeah, that's a Canadian thing to do :P

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 02:02 
Project Author

Geek wrote:
Suncalc wrote:
mwhouston wrote:

Yeah, that's a Canadian thing to do :P

Geek did you tell Matt? It was meant to be a secret. Last time I tell you anything (lel). Lets see if I win more tubes first. I've actually got three big projects on the go right now but willing to take on another - Matt's 6V6. I was going to do a "crazy" build but have uncovered a few flaws in the craziness so now the build may be more standard - with a Houston twist of course.

Does anyone know anyone who is an episcopalian? Just interested in talking to them.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 04:19 

Hrm, nope! 90% Dutch Reformed in my neck of farmtown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next