DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 15:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 00:05 
Project Author

diablo007 wrote:
Does it have to be wired in the manner in the drawing?
Nope. Just get 6.3Vac to each heater and you'll be good to go.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 01:26 
Project Author

Yes place the 1uf cap across the heater pins (4 and 5 for the 12AX7) for the to amp tubes. DO NOT put the cap on the rectifier heater only the amp tubes.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 12:31 

Noticed I accidentally undid my corrections to the power circuit. I've corrected that.

I do have a question that I remembered while correcting that. Grounds now tie into the neutral correct? Except for the earth ground of course, that ties into metal on the chassis :D

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 18:25 
Project Author

Actually the Champ I built was the 5F1. They look very simular though.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 18:55 

Quote:
Actually the Champ I built was the 5F1. They look very simular though.

I've been searching to see what people felt about the 5E1 vs. the 5F1. Seems it's mostly a personal preference. I also read about someone installing a DPDT switch to that they could switch from resistor (5F1) to choke (5E1). Though it seems to me you'd also have to disconnect C5 also. Something to think about.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 19:10 
Project Author

I made mine choke filtered and also Pentode in the output stage. I had an OPT with the 40% tap. I added a switch to allow me to switch to Triode mode. Also between first and second stage I added an external effects loop.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 19:42 

Quote:
I made mine choke filtered and also Pentode in the output stage. I had an OPT with the 40% tap. I added a switch to allow me to switch to Triode mode. Also between first and second stage I added an external effects loop.

Googled the difference between pentode and triode, I understand the basics now.

What is an 'OPT with the 40% tap'. I'm guessing the last part just means that you have the option of inserting your effects between the amp and preamp instead of before the guitar.

Did you get a chance to double check my schematic?

Thanks to everyone for all your help and input :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 20:19 
Project Author

OPT is output transformer and for pentodes the primary has a tapping 40% on the primary which connects to the screen grid of the 6V6. This provides a little negative feed back (NFB) to the tube.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 18:24 

Quote:
I do have a question that I remembered while correcting that. Grounds now tie into the neutral correct? Except for the earth ground of course, that ties into metal on the chassis

an interesting question, and one i still don't have a clear answer to also. i believe that the earth (or ground from the AC) 110/240v goes to the 'metal' and the DC ground is 'isolated' from this but is common across all DC grounds within the circuit (with the exception of some heater wiring)

something for your consideration also ; http://www.ozvalveamps.org/ava100/ava100project.htm this is a very interesting (and simple)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2011, 18:41 
Project Author

Most of the time I connect mains earth and PS negative all together and ground it to the metal case work. Only on one of the last phono preamps did I isolate the mains earth and PS earth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next