DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 21:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 11:13 

The Dynaco ST-35 tube amp has a strong following in the world of DIY tubes. The original was released by Dynaco way back in 1963! The amp produces 17.5 watts/ch and is the little brother of the ST-70.

Dynakit Parts sells an ST-35 kit that is an exact reproduction of the original. The history, that unique retro-appearance and its reputation as a good performer, sold me on this kit. Those beautiful and HEAVY transformers are made in the USA, hand wound in Chicago to Dynaco's original specifications.

PACKAGING: The kit was very well packed. The components were individually packaged and cushioned with bubble wrap. The heavy transformer boxes at the bottom of the carton were taped securely in place to the inside of the carton.

ASSEMBLY: I took a quick inventory and found the electronic parts, resistors, capacitors PCBs, in individual bags and labeled. This made it easy to find the right part during assembly.

The two manuals, one for stuffing the PCB and one for mechanical assembly and wiring, are well written, clear and accurate. This made the whole process of assembly enjoyable.
Attachment:
project001.jpg

Attachment:
project01.jpg

Attachment:
project1.jpg

Attachment:
project2.jpg

Attachment:
project3.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 11:19 

FIT AND FINISH: In a word, BEAUTIFUL! Kevin included the stainless steel chassis for the same price as the cadmium steel chassis. (THANKS Kevin!) If you're going to build this kit I highly recommend the SS chassis. It looks awesome. I also opted for the tube cage, which is a bit pricy. But trust me, it's worth it. The HEAVY transformers are nicely finished in a gloss black. After completion the ST-35 is an impressive piece.

As far as I can tell the new ST-35 kit from Dynakit Parts is a very accurate reproduction of the original Dynaco kit from 40+ years ago. It feels hefty and has a classic look to it.

SOUND: I chose JJ 12DW7 and Sovtek EL84M tubes for this kit. The ST-35 sounded great right off the bat. The EL84M are detailed but a bit bright with strong bass. After burn-in they may mellow out. I use a pair of full range DIY speakers, Tang Band W8-1772 drivers in a bass reflex 40 liter cabinet. The W8-1772 SPL are about 94db or 95db. The ST-35 drives these to very loud volumes easily. Bass is strong, deep and clean. Soundstage is holographic.

CONCLUSION: I HIGHLY recommend this kit. It’s a gem.

NOTES: It took about 15 hours over a two day period to assemble the ST-35. What can I say? I took my time ! :mrgreen:

The resistors are metal foil but carbon composition resistors are an option for more money. The stock coupling caps are Illinois. I have no intention of modifying this amp . It sounds awesome right out of the box. The tube cage is an option separate from the kit for an additional $70. The "on-off" switch is a built-in hand switch on the power cord just like the original. I can't say enough about the transformers. They are impressive!
Attachment:
st35bwr.jpg

Attachment:
st35cage.jpg

Attachment:
st35closeupcrop.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 16:44 

That is a GORGEOUS kit!

I love its genuine retro look! :)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 18:26 
Editor

Thanks for sharing. I look at these kits from time to time and it's good to know they are good quality! The only thing that looks out of place is how new and shiny the amp and cage look! :smoking: Enjoy the amp.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: The Dynaco ST-35 Kit
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 18:26 

That is beautiful!

I have a huge soft spot in my heart for these kinds of amps.

Cheers,
Greg

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 12:49 
Project Author

That is a great looking kit indeed, I am quite impressed that these kits have been brought back as Dynaco amplifiers I always thought looked really nice. Now just about anyone can enjoy one of these kits for them selves without having to spend large amounts of money to buy and restore an older one. ;)

BTW, what is the total cost for one of these kits Jim? soooooo much chrome! :P

It would be nice if Heathkit came back too. :)

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 14:44 

CrazzyAbtTubes wrote:
BTW, what is the total cost for one of these kits Jim? soooooo much chrome!

That "chrome" is really mirror polished stainless steel. The kit with the cadmium steel chassis is $465 plus shipping; with the polished SS chaissis $525. If you want carbon comp resistors it's a little more. I chose metal foil resistors. The tube cage is an extra $70.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=1

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011, 06:10 

That is a very good price for all goods! :)

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011, 09:06 

Hi Jim, how would you rate the ease of assembly for a complete newbie to valve amps?
I am seriously considering the ST-70 kit.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011, 09:32 

The price was almost OK. $465 for a Cd/Steel chassis. Special handling for non-US customers ....Ei olle probleem, my daughter lives in Chicago.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll