DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 04:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 09:12 
Project Author

Just revisiting my remarks about Black Lace on the CRO. I did notice the 1k and 100HZ square wave were quite poor and remarked the amp was better with high frequency than low.

Could it be Ck on the 6V6?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 09:44 

Well, I replaced the 470uF (500uF on Matts) with 47uF, there is a slight improvement, but not much - it may even be my imagination. I'm using Russian 6V6's and a Chinese 6SN7.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 18:48 
Project Author

Insomnus wrote:
Well, I replaced the 470uF (500uF on Matts) with 47uF, there is a slight improvement, but not much - it may even be my imagination. I'm using Russian 6V6's and a Chinese 6SN7.

I wonder how it would look on the CRO. I'm using Australian made very old tubes. Every other component is in align with other SE 6V6s.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 03:49 

Gah, this was all my fault, it was simply a bad earth from the RCA inputs, Fixed that and the amp now sounds very nice indeed. I'm very happy I chose this as my first project.
Thank you for your help Mr Houston, sorry I can be so stupid at times, age and a stroke has not helped my intellect.
Before I go I will just plug Audio Note's kit 'The Mentor' pre-amp. It has honestly changed my life it is so good. My music is now so very emotional and beautiful, it puts an enormous grin on my face every time. It has a huge power tranni and 3 chokes/Mundorf 2 channel power caps, making the dynamics just incredible, my music has never sounded (nor did I ever imagine it would sound) so alive and kicking.
Well, I guess its time to enjoy my music, and once again thank you!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 04:37 
Project Author

So how old are you? I'm 62.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 09:13 

I'm also 62. I'm not sure if you are asking me. It's not so much the age of my brain as the stroke I had a few years ago - it took me 2 weeks to learn how to fasten my shoelaces. My brain follows a pattern of confusion-confusion-confusion-loss of memory-flash of insite-panic-confusion, rinse and repeat.
The reason I am trying to learn/understand electronics is because of my lungs. I have OCPD, Bronchitus, emphysemia and they are over - expanded. So I don't get out much, last time I went anywhere was to hospital to have 1/3 of my right lung removed, back again in a month or two for the same on my left lung. Electronics seemed to be a hobby I can manage. I feel rather guilty for taking up your time on such a fool as me, but I don't know where else to turn when I'm confused-confused(etc).
Once again, thank you and please forgive my stupidity (I used to be a lot less stupid, I have been to uni and wrote code for a hobby, now I struggle to type).
Yours Keith.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 19:11 
Project Author

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Your questions aren't stupid or even silly. This is why like mined people join forums to get and share ideas and to ask questions. I've lost count of the questions I have asked and luckily there has been someone there to answer most.

I see you found the fault with your amp. Did you leave the smaller (47uf) bipass cap in cct?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 18:39 

Sorry I'm late replying, carers day off. I put the Elna Silmics (470uF, 35V) back, but after seeing your post I put the 47uF 35V back. I think there is a little more bass, Not sure if it sounds better, but it sounds very nice.
Tonight I was working on a wooden bowl I was turning. I was putting a brass strip inlay and had lathe on too fast a speed, the brass strip came loose and severly lacerated my hand, I have just left hospital after 3 hours having it fixed. I put my stereo on when I returned and the pain just went away while a huge grin crept across my face. My family/friends and carer critisize me for spending too much money on my Hi-Fi, but seriously - you cannot put a price on the pleasure my valve system gives me.
Thank you for your words of ecouragement Mr Houston (don't know your first name) I appreciate them
Yours, Keith.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 19:24 
Project Author

Keith, what are you using as a preamp? Lace Wood is a power amp and does require a preamp for best operation. I would suggest one of Matt's single stage tube preamps. For me the best he designed was the MKIII what I called (and have built a few of) "The Black". It was the first one Matt designed. The two previous ones I had got ccts. for off the internet. Matt went on to design the Universal which takes any 12A?7. But the MKIII with a 12AU7 I think is the best.

Mark.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2014, 07:57 

Hi Mark. I am using the 'Mentor', an Audio Note kit pre-amp. They have only just released this model and Brian Smith (of ANK) allowed me to be a beta build tester so I was kinda proud to build the 3rd one in the world and the first in Europe.( http://www.ankaudiokits.com/L5-Mentor-T ... ifier.html ) I have nothing but praise for this pre-amp, it has a huge power supply (it takes up <60% of the space inside) so it has outstanding dynamics, and with 2X4 pole chokes it is as silent as the grave, it also uses 2 mono (one per channel) Khozmo attenuators and is quality all the way through.
I was using a Quad 303 power amp before the Lacewood but the Lacewood is far better. You may find it odd but I like to 'colour' my music, and the Quad was too nuetral for me.
I mod a lot of things to suite myself - why not my music? People seem obsessed with the music being played how the it was recorded, but why? If I can colour my music to a sound I prefer, why would I not do that? Everyone has different 'ears' so surely it is much better to find the sound you personaly prefer than one someone else (the artist, studio recorder and mixer plus the designer of your equipment who has voiced it for himself). Colour me happy :D
Yours, Keith

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next