DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 20:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 21:36 
Project Author

I recently picked up a nice pair of NOS Zenith branded 6V6G ST envelope tubes.
Attachment:
Zeneth 6V6Gs.jpg

I had expected these to be more mellow than the JJs but they are in fact far more detailed. They seem to be handling the lower voltage and UL mode better than the JJs. They are weaker in the bass but that may have to do with the fact that I've only been listening to them for a few hours. It will be interesting to see how these sound after really being broken in. I intend to leave them in the amp for a few weeks to really get a feel for their tone and to allow them to settle. Then I'll do a head to head comparison against the nicely broken in JJ 6V6S tubes.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:45 

matt thats bloody marvellous work there mate - well done - kudos dude.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 09:44 
Project Author

@Matt: Noticed no bypass caps on the driver side. Is this to instigate a little NF??

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 09:36 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Matt: Noticed no bypass caps on the driver side. Is this to instigate a little NF??

I actually did this for three reasons. 1; To limit the gain so there was less chance of over driving the output tubes. 2; To ensure that the driver stage's bass response was entirely due to coupling and not cathode bypass transition (this helps support bass response). 3; As you said, to introduce a little NFB in the driver to limit higher order harmonics. In the writeup you'll note that I picked a lower load value for the 6SN7 specifically to help warm up the sound (enhance 2nd order harmonic response). This little bit of NFB helps keep the other nasty harmonics under control in the driver stage when the load is low.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 18:22 
Project Author

I have been thinking about having the bypass cap on the 6SN7 of the 807 amp switchable in/out. I have felt in the passed with the bypass cap out the overall sound is better with other amps and preamps. Its an easy enough mod. so I may give it a go.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 13:17 

Matt,
Did you develop a load line for the 6V6 in Ultralinear mode? If so, would you care to share the diagram?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 02:35 
Project Author

Matt: I like those Zenith tubes. I have some Ozzies black glass 6V6 very old. They were under a house nearby for about 40 years but I can get a matched pair. I just sole Arabella and your 6V6 is next on the radar. But with a sadistic twist to component selection. I intend to stay with your schematic and value of components as marked.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 04:40 
Project Author

mwhouston wrote:
Matt: I like those Zenith tubes. I have some Ozzies black glass 6V6 very old. They were under a house nearby for about 40 years but I can get a matched pair. I just sole Arabella and your 6V6 is next on the radar. But with a sadistic twist to component selection. I intend to stay with your schematic and value of components as marked.

Of course that should be sold and not sole though Arabella did have sole.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 08:05 

I have just finished building this amp, I eschewed the volume and I run it from an Audio Note kit 'The Mentor' pre-amp http://www.ankaudiokits.com/L5-Mentor-T ... ifier.html. It realy is very quiet, much more than the Quad 303 I was running it through. this is my third build, but as the other two (ANK DAC4.1 and ANK Mentor) were kits this is my very first 'self build'. Thank you very much for that Matt, I am realy impressed with the design. The detail and finess are outsanding - I'm realy happy with this.
I do have a problem however, it is extremely bass light. I know the pre-amp produces a good bass balance but I'm rather ignorant about electronics (but learning as fast as my 62 year old brain will allow) so I could do with some advice on this. Not all the components are exactly as you used but they are all very close, for instance the RC from pin 8 is 470uF and 360R instead of the 500uF 350R you used. I used high quality parts, Takman carbons, Elna Silmics, Mundorf MLytics, silver signal wire etc. Can anyone shed some light on this or suggest someway to increase bass response?
Thanking whoever helps me in advance.
Yours, Keith.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 08:53 
Project Author

Just looking at a few other 6V6 designs I notice that the bipass cap on the 6V6 tube is 33 to 47uf where here it is 500uf. Could there be a clue here? We really need Matt to answer this. There is a big difference here, in fact one order of magnitude.

Can you try a 47uf bipass across the cathode resistor Rk?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next