DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2018, 03:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 03:09 
Project Author

@Matt: Of course a log pot "should" be used but a linear works "electrically" just as well. In fact and it may just be my ears, I like the way a linear pot works for volume over a log pot. Strangely you 'tend to crank it more to get the same changes in volume level, but hey that's OK!

My new retro-34UL high gain tube amp would go well with a 4S preamp. I think "The Black" maybe the one to build. This where Matt got across the build and designed the preamp. It only uses the 12AU7 but I have grown to like the tube in a preamp. For me as a driver tube in a power amp give me a 12AX7!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 14:58 

mwhouston, Suncalc - OK thanks for the potentiometer info, the pictures helped. So I have put together a quick prototype using parts on hand (257VDC, 1K cathode resistor, 100K pot) until I get the proper values and some nicer caps. It sounds very good the way it is with a 12au7 running into my RH84.

Attachment:
P1010012.JPG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 15:16 

If a log potentiometer is needed and you just have linears in your toubox, you can do this trick: http://sound.westhost.com/project01.htm

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 17:48 
Project Author

The resistor across the linear pot works. I still don't mind a linear pot for volume attenuation.

etet: I would call the build a finished preamp amp. I have used the same caps on other builds including phono preamps with good results. Have you had a listen.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 18:22 

Quote:
...Have you had a listen?

Yes, very nice the way it is. Very transparent and not too much gain, it's just about right. You guy's have done an excellent job with this 4S pre..it is very simple and the results are very good.

Soundbrigade - Good link...ESP has some really good stuff...I find myself there often.

Last edited by etet on 18 Sep 2012, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 18:50 
Project Author

etet wrote:
Quote:
...Have you had a listen?

Yes, very nice the way it is. Very transparent and not too much gain, it's just about right. You guy's have done an excellent job with this 4S pre..it is very simple and the results are very good.

Any Idea how much gain is there is?

You should get somewhere around 9db of gain. About 5db with Ck out of cct. I found these preamps sound better with the bypass cap out of cct. This provides local NFB.

Because my power amps only have about 3db of gain I can't use any of the 4S preamp but rely on my BoZSE (single jFet) preamps for greater gain.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012, 06:52 

I was looking at the simplicity of the 4SPS and wondered how easily it would be to separate it from the 4S preamp and use it for other simple projects. I was looking at it to power a simple 12AX7/12AQ5 SE amp, as mentioned on other threads but the peak heater/cathode voltage of the 12AQ5 is 90V. Could the 4SPS be used but with an elevated heater/floating heater.
I believe that the following would be necessary (see diagram), making it essentially the same as the PS used in the SRPP preamp. The additional capacitor would be 10uF/400V and the resistors 100K and 220K .

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012, 17:12 
Project Author

I'll leave this one to the experts. Hope it works for you.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012, 17:18 

I was wondering also whether it was possible to put a DPDT switch in the circuit too. One side breaking the ground and the other the resistors to top of the 0.01uF cap in the heater circuits, so that if the power supply was to be used for multiple projects, then the heaters could either be used as in the original 4SPS of at the flick of a switch they could be elevated.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 02:45 

Found this link, regarding the elevation of heaters. Looks like, I more of less got the circuit right. Except this link puts 100R resistors to each side of the heater winding
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next