DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 09:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 22:34 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
thanks mark.
that 100ohm resistor is pretty large - what vDC are you getting post the regulator?
rather than a full rectified circuit as i can't find a diode small enough, i was going to use a 40v schottky 1n5822 as a half wave rectified circuit with a 100uf 63v smoothing cap and the 100 ohm resistor and then passing that into the regulator. Post that 10uf/.01uf should suffice. Thoughts?

Just go for the small round Jaycar rec. bridges. They are very small and handle a lot of current and volts. I use two. One for the HT and one for the 12V. Don't bother with diodes. If you are worried about switch on noise from the diodes in the bridge put a 0.01uf brown poly across every leg on the rec. You only need to do this on the HT rec. bridge.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 23:31 

thanks very much mark - yes i know the ones. :D
apologies as i am learning about this stuff - have been interested in this for a very long time.

something i found very very useful is here : http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html. this lovely fellow has a piece of software which will actually let you model a PSU design and see what the expected outage may well be - which for someone new at this game is very very helpful too :)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 12:41 
Project Author

I have a slight update to the "Universal" design I posted a while back. When I looked again at the max output impedance numbers they, seemed a little "off". As it turns out, I failed to account for the effect of the unbypassed cathode resistor in the numbers. The changes aren't really that big, but I thought I'd post them anyway just to keep myself honest. I also tweaked the value of the coupling cap. The 0.68µf value used originally might make the stage just a little too susceptible to blocking. So I lowered it to 0.47µf. This raises the low frequency cut off frequencies to just over 1Hz for all stages. Although you could probably go all the way to 0.1µf without any significant effect on the 20Hz roll off numbers.

Also, while I was at it, I calculated a reasonable value for a bypass cap that would work for all stages (it could even be switched in and out with a DPDT switch for both channels). It tends to push up the stage distortion just a bit. The highest value is for the 12AT7/12AZ7. It gets almost to 6% for a 1v peak input signal. However, the bypassed gain for the 12AT7/12AZ7 is about 33 so an input of less then 1/2 a volt would be more typical for this tube. This means that the "real world" distortion would be more like 3% (much more reasonable). This will definitely be the "warmest" of the 12Axxx series tubes in this circuit.

Here is the modified schematic:
Attachment:
%22Universal%22 Preamp Stage.jpg

And here are the calculated performance numbers:
Attachment:
Universal_performance.png

The circuit values are at the top, the performance for the unbypassed cathode stage for each tube are next, and the performance for the bypassed cathode stage for each tube are at the bottom.

As usual, questions and comments are more than welcome.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 16:47 
Project Author

Matt: Thanks for the update. I have all the parts for the Universal but are currently stuck on an RIAA phono preamp kit from Oatley Electronics, the K303. Firstly they packed two of the wrong jFETs and on assembly in a timbre box I get a 50hz hum.

Today I'll put the kit in an Al cheap case and see if the hum goes. It is a two stage jFET afair but had too much gain at the front end. With all the knowledge I have gained from working with the 4S preamp I figured if I cut away the bypass cap on the first jFET I would drop the gain and its sensitivity to hum. It worked. The preamp also has a sibilance issue (maybe high frequency distortion) which by increasing the local current feed back of the front jFET did help. I'll keep more of this story for a new thread.

Back to the Universal. It was my intentions to be able to switch in and out a bypass cap so with the new schematic I can incorperate this.

Last edited by mwhouston on 05 Sep 2011, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 16:52 

Hi Matt, I have both 12AT7 and 12AX7 tubes available and am about to build the above - are there any real world 'tests' that I can help with?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 18:13 
Project Author

Quote:
... - are there any real world 'tests' that I can help with?
Not really, just build one and tell us what you think.

Actually, the design is fairly solid. I prototyped it and then measured performance with a 12AU7, 12AT7, and 12AX7. All the numbers seem to be close to the design points.

I'm considering a mod to attack the design's only real Achilles' heel, the output impedance. It requires another triode to get a constant low output impedance and variable gain, but I think I can do it without any overload conditions and without adding any more frequency dependent phase shift than it already has. But that will have to wait for me to finish the design.

Keep us posted on your progress. :up:

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 18:21 
Project Author

If you add another stage we move right away from the whole core of this now long and well traveled project - Single Stage!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 18:28 
Project Author

Quote:
If you add another stage we move right away from the whole core of this now long and well traveled project - Single Stage!
Yes you are quite correct. I'll probably have to start another thread for that one; "The Not So Simple Two Stage Tube Preamp". ;)

It's a character flaw of all Engineers that we can't seem to let anything be without "improving" it. :blush:

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 20:26 

Quote:
It's a character flaw of all Engineers that we can't seem to let anything be without "improving" it. :blush:

tell me about it..........i just drew your diagram in visio..... ;)
oh and created a BOM for the mrs to go to jaycar ... again. pity they don't do frequent flyer there.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 20:41 

Attached as .JPG - can't attach the .vsd :(

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 42  Next