DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 13:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 03:29 

I spent the day Saturday closely examining the power supply, basically to see if it was "ripple-free". Despite the claims made, the design does not do much for ripple. I measured about 50mV 60hz ripple from the supply, using an external tranny. As much as I liked the slo-turn on aspect, it did not provide a clean DC. I then set about designing my own DC with slo-turn on using an LM317. Success! And, I achieved my goals of slo-turn on and ripple free. The original design employed by Oatley used a cascaded voltage doubler - why Paul felt the need for 50+ volts is unknown to me as the "discrete regulator" circuit didn't require that much. I will be using a small form factor transformer of same type as Oatley's feeding a normal voltage doubler. That voltage (~40VDC) is fed in to an LM317 with slo-turn on support with the output set to 30VDC MAX. With my scope set to the lowest volt sensing (20mv range), I could discern absolutely no ripple at its output.
Attachment:
Image1.gif

The pre-amp was tested with this design and the output signals were clean even at full quiet.
:up:

It's late, and I am way past my normal bed time. This was a good day.
:sleep:

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 05:46 
Project Author

Les: What no smoke flow? Good work. I've not see the type of PS before.

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 20:47 

It works well, but I made an error in my ripple measurements. There is a small amount of ripple of the type exhibited by fast switching rectifiers (spiky). It's less than 5mv p-p, however.

Completed PCB build up of new PS and made a couple changes along the way. R2 & R3 have been replaced by a single 56k resistor. Also, the value for the resistor R4 is 10K (had not established the value at time of posting). The turn on circuit had called for a 50K, but not having one I went with a 39K + 10K (49K). Today I managed to happen up on a 56K. Since the resistors make up the RC tank, a slightly larger resistor only slowed time a very slight bit. In case you're wondering why 2 10uF in parallel? That's what I had one hand that was smaller than 100uF, which took way too long to come up. The time for the 20uF to come up appealed to me at about 30 seconds.

On the pre-amp PCB, all components save for the last 2 capacitors on the power feed have been removed. I added a 10nF snubber to the new DC input which kills the HF noise from the Hi intensity blue LED (power indicator).

mwhouston wrote:
Les: What no smoke flow? Good work. I've not see the type of PS before.

I did that today. :blush:
Before putting the line voltage to the completed PCB, I was going through what I call "staging". Basically, I check the DC section using a DC lab supply. Then I do a low voltage section test off of the xformer secondary, using a LV AC source, then I'll "put the pedal to the metal" with the mains. Well, I managed to short out my LV AC source and blew its fuse. Not that there is a problem with the design, mind you. The problem was me :blush: I let the clip leads get too close and **SPAT**, no LV AC, power indicator out - DANG! Blown fuse. The design is borrowed from the LM317T application notes with a little "personalization".

Pictures of the new PS:
Attachment:
top.jpg

Attachment:
bottom.jpg

As you may have noticed, there is yet no mains connected. Until I re-fuse my AC LV bench supply and complete AC stage test, it won't be tested on mains.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 21:39 
Project Author

Les wrote:
It works well, but I made an error in my ripple measurements. There is a small amount of ripple of the type exhibited by fast switching rectifiers (spiky). It's less than 5mv p-p, however.
What is the frequency of the "spiky" ripple? The LM317 is not a regenerative regulator, it's purely linear so you should not be seeing this unless it truly is a 120Hz phenomenon. Otherwise it would indicate an instability in the supporting circuitry. Curious.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 22:00 

Suncalc wrote:
Les wrote:
What is the frequency of the "spiky" ripple? The LM317 is not a regenerative regulator, it's purely linear so you should not be seeing this unless it truly is a 120Hz phenomenon. Otherwise it would indicate an instability in the supporting circuitry. Curious.

Right on the head, Matt. It is 120Hz spikes. I've tried suppression with 100nF and 10nF (all that I have on hand in that range) at the regulator input and at the output with no apparent effect. I have a couple different parallel line filters (choke) that I will try in line from the PS to the amp. I've been able to employ those in the past with some success.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 11:41 

I'm in a holding pattern while I await some hardware for completing my project. I hope to have everything in time to finish this up this weekend and post some initial listening reports.

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 11:21 

I did some more testing on my PS design. Scrap the SK3841. Apparently this transistor is not suited to this type of usage as it became unstable and started dropping the voltage. I took the TIP117 from the original design from Oatley and inserted it in to the circuit. The TIP117 is a Darlington pair type and is better rated for this type of duty. Another problem has crept in in the form of an under rated power transformer. Time for "plan B". I've got to either redesign and use the cascaded voltage divider, get a bigger transformer (higher current capability) of the 12.6 - 18VAC variety, or redesign the PS in to a traditional full wave type with a 30VAC transformer. Ah the joys of PS design......

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 12:53 
Project Author

There is no doubt a good amp is based on a good PS. Probably worth going to the effort. That way you will know what you can get out of the amp design.

PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 08:44 

I was able to preserve the design. I had a box of wall warts laying about, including some AC out types. I had one rated 12VAC @ 500mA - PERFECT! I connected that to my power supply and all is good. In fact, it's better. The ripple has gone, so that may have been a result of the previous transformer or possibly was being injected by that SK3841 transistor that went south. I didn't check for ripple after replacing that transistor.
:confused:

Movin' on! I've got the layout and began working on the case. I'm using a Bud Ind. 7x12x3 aluminum case. It's unpainted and is economy style. Some exposed seams will get a coating of epoxy to cover and smooth, then the case will be primered and then finished in a gloss black enamel. I picked up a nice illuminated toggle switch with hi-bright blue LED to use as my off-on switch. A fused & filtered IEC snap-in type receptacle will be used for mains. The afore mentioned wall wart has been dissected for the transformer and has already been remounted to a PCB to be mounted in the case. It was to big for the power supply PCB, so it got its own PCB. To help limit the tendency of the 6418s to ring, I have installed rubber grommets to that PCB. I have some hi-density foam padding that will also be used to damper the tubes. I've test this type of foam with the 6418 base headphone amp and it works really well. Further more, the case will receive some nice felt feet.

- I'll try to remember to snap some pics this evening.

:wine:

PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 10:08 
Editor

Les wrote:
I'm using a Bud Ind. 7x12x3 aluminum case. It's unpainted and is economy style. Some exposed seams will get a coating of epoxy to cover and smooth, then the case will be primered and then finished in a gloss black enamel.
Take photos of the seam work. Sounds interesting.
Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next