DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 19:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 15:53 

I got an old RCA RS-199B amp, the one with a 6FQ7 and 2 6BQ5. It's completely original, so I started by making a complete schematic and measuring voltages at relevant points. Had to try it out, of course, and using my preamp of 2 12AX7 or 12AU7 it sounds wonderful. But, one of the power tubes glows a little. If I switch them, that position still glows. If I put 2 new tubes, the same one in the same spot glows. The other socket position never glows. They share a big cathode resistor, can I split that up and bias them separately?
I'm ready to replace the PS caps and coupling caps---could the old beat ones be contributing to this?
Again it sounds great, but I can't stand that glowing plate, is it killing the tube? And by glow I mean with low light and my hand shading it there is a faint orange glow on one side of the tube. You can't see it in normal light. Am I nuts or is there a simple fix for this issue?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 17:22 
Project Author

Hi, A bit unusual, but there is a possible explanation or two. I am not familiar with that amp, but from your description it has a push- pull output. The normal reason a tube glows is that the small amount of gas inside it is being energized (much like a neon bulb). The higher the voltage the more likely it is to occur. So the question is really why one socket and the tube placed in it is apparently operating at a higher voltage than the other. Or if you would rather why the other one is lower. My initial thought is that the glowing one is correct and the other lower one has some issue :? . A few factors can affect this. First guess is that the one not glowing is drawing more current. This would cause the anode voltage to be lower as there is some resistance in the output transformer wire. Why would it draw more current has several possibilities. In no particular order, there is something upsetting the bias on the grid of that tube, perhaps a leaky coupling cap from the preceeding stage, a bad "grid leak" resistor (the one from the grid to ground) that has gone high in value, higher voltage on the screen of the tube.

If you have the schematic and can post it, I may be able to give additional thoughts. BTW, have you measured the anode voltages? Screens? Grids?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 07:45 

This should be the schematic. SE, with global feedback.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.