DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 02:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 22:59 
Project Author

Hi All, Transformers are still being made. I expect them in a week or ten days. Even without them the amps are really beasts. I believe they way they behave based on how loud they are in comparison to my KT88 sets is that they deliver that horrible concept of peak power. I hate the term, but it may be what I hear as the steady state measurements fall short of what I hear. They are louder than the 88s and have a lot more muscle. With the present trannies they don't measure that much bigger. :?

If the trannies do what I expect 40-45 rms is the target. Lots of heat too. :hot:

Stay tuned - this might end up a really killer project.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 02:06 

Suncalc wrote:
... you can put together a really inexpensive amp that actually has pretty good sound. Two channels, two tubes (plus a rectifier for purists)....

If It would be possible to find inexpensive and small DIY acoustic systems anywhere - I would make the amp for my office desktop computer for sure.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 13:09 
Project Author

Hi Poty, A tad OT, but the Poddwatt amp is just the size for that application. I have one on a set of Polk minis (5 inch + 1 inch), lovely sound and plenty loud. I suspect a single driver diy using one of the Fostex drivers in a small vented box would work quite well on a PC.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 08:28 

I just love my Poddwatt Bruce, but we have to keep our hobby going. 13EM7 tubes are octal but the 6DF7 is a nine pin and they are the same electrically and are only $3.00 apiece! NOS of course. Thanks, rparsh

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 14:08 
Project Author

Absolutely, I have many ideas for projects, just not enough time to try them all. Also it takes some time to perfect the projects (like my long delayed phono preamp). Just having something work isn't good enough for me. I feel an obligation not to post anything that isn't top stuff. BTW, my next forage into tube design land is likely to be a guitar amp. I have some thoughts on how to do a killer one that should not cost a bunch. It is a few months down the road. I need to write up some of the things already done and update some of the older projects. I have some cool ideas on using "eye" tubes and indicator tubes as well. I snarfed up a batch some months ago for pennies.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 20:29 

Eye tubes are cool, I too have several, both 8 pin and 9 pin. I saw some cool stuff on them on U Tube. The circuits are not too difficult either. I have been thinking about a guitar amp, that would be a welcome project for the forum. I don`t play yet but I know a pawn shop that has a ton of guitars hanging behind the counter. They also have a ton of guitar amps too. I looked but they are all ss. My Edcor power trans are due to come today. They are probably on my step in this storm sweeping through the south right now. Hopefully they are in plastic bags inside their cardboard boxes they pack them in. See yall later, Robert

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 22:21 

gofar99 wrote:
BTW, my next forage into tube design land is likely to be a guitar amp. I have some thoughts on how to do a killer one that should not cost a bunch. It is a few months down the road.

That's one I'm definitely looking forward to. I'm especially curious about the topology you choose for the preamp. Most guitar power amps are simple PP designs, but the preamp designs are all over the place and the preamp is where most of the tone is shaped and distortion generated.

There's no reason a nice guitar amp can't be built for a reasonable price. Looking forward to it. :D

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 03:33 

ax84.com is a good place for geetah ideas :)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 23:52 

Geek wrote:
ax84.com is a good place for geetah ideas :)

Cool site.

My only suggestion for the preamp is that it be capable of clean all to way up to saturated heavy distortion. Heavy saturation and distortion are used on a lot of songs, not just heavy metal.

Musical instrument amplifiers are one area where analog SS electronics will never rival tubes IMHO. I've never heard a good sounding analog SS amp when it comes to producing distortion, nor have I ever played an analog SS amp with the dynamic touch sensitivity of a tube amp. If you want realistic tube sound from SS electronics it must be digital and right now the cost is about $1600 for something that sounds realistic - ouch! :shock:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 14:06 
Project Author

Hi All, I have been to the ax84 site, good stuff. The design have is a class AB PP and will be a new thread when I get it going. Separate power and preamp sections so you can build one or both as needed. Transformer coupled driver. All new ground for me, but at least on paper it will work fine. :idea:

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 49  Next