DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 13:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 16:26 

My KT120 are on the way. 8-) And I have just ordered some small few components for the driver which will be a Russian tetrode - 6E5P.
I hope to be able to get something working til DIY show in Gothenburg, Sweden in mid May.

The tetrode will be hooked up with 5K6 ... 6K2 on anode, 56 ... 62R on cathode, decoupled by 470uF. On the second grid, 50uF to ground and 39K to B+.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 16:52 
Project Author

Cool, :thumbsup: once you have it up and running I would scope it to see if the drive is symmetrical and enough to drive the tubes. You may have to adjust the anode load / cathode bias resistors to get the driver in its most linear range.

I've been putting a few hours at a time on the OB KT120 amps and they seem to be getting more refined as time goes by, still relatively few - maybe only 75 hours on the them. Getting close to what I like to hear now. If nothing interferes I'll be running a full set of tests on Saturday.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 07:07 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
once you have it up and running I would scope it to see if the drive is symmetrical and enough to drive the tubes. You may have to adjust the anode load / cathode bias resistors to get the driver in its most linear range.

I've been putting a few hours at a time on the OB KT120 amps and they seem to be getting more refined as time goes by, still relatively few - maybe only 75 hours on the them. Getting close to what I like to hear now. If nothing interferes I'll be running a full set of tests on Saturday.

Bruce: To think you are playing with a new tube which has no history. You could really set some bench marks here. The world awaits!

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 07:30 

Hi,

AR is already shipping amplifiers with KT120. Have a look at the following link

http://www.arcdb.ws/news.html

cheers!

--Rodrigo.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 16:10 

rockdrigo wrote:

WoW!!! Those are extremely pricey! :o

Miguel

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 16:40 

rockdrigo wrote:
AR is already shipping amplifiers with KT120. Have a look at the following link

Oh, goody! Never has an amplifier crossed my bench so many times as an Audio Research... daddy needs a new Mercedes :smoking:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 15:10 
Project Author

Hi, Yes they are sending them out, I wonder if they need an Arizona based service center. (my bad - sorry :bawling: ). I bench tested mine this AM. Not a complete set, but enough so I can move them a notch closer to what I like. I am using a rather conservative B+ at present (biggest trannies I had) at 400 Volts DC. Idle current is 310ma per pair of tubes. A consequence of the higher current is that the voltage across the LM317 is lower. It went from 35 (at 260ma) to 30 (at 310ma). Dissipation is still within limits with a good heat sink - my new ones get rather warm, but you can touch them without getting fried. Output power was in the 33-35 watt range with these settings. I have a way to extract about 5 or so more and will try that shortly. Frequency response was 20-20K +/- 0.1db. Mostly 0.05 db. I actually had to add a small (500pf) cap to the NFB loop as there was initially a 0.25 db increasing slope from about 14K that extended into the 50KHZ region. This could be OK in many systems, but might cause ringing in some with odd crossovers at higher (say 8K and above) frequencies. They worked fine on my Martin Logan Vista ESLs that tend to be difficult to drive as nearly every thing above 1K HZ is increasingly capacitive in nature and the impedance drops to 1.2 ohms at 20K. Since the design is pretty much OK now (except the power boost bit) I'll post it as soon as I can tidy it up. :D

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 17:28 

gofar99 wrote:
Dissipation is still within limits with a good heat sink - my new ones get rather warm, but you can touch them without getting fried.

Heatsink rule of thumb I was trained by, "If you have to pull back within three seconds, it's too hot." Sounds fine.

When I design, I take what the math says I need, double it (triple it if going in a PAS or other lousy ventillated case) and call it a day :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 17:36 
Project Author

I'm not convinced electrostatic speaker and valve amps are a good match. Generally tube amps don't like capacitive loads. But, Bruce, you sound like you have them all getting along. It maybe some global negative feed back helps here.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 20:37 
Project Author

Hi, I can not really explain it, but these amps (all sizes) work well with the Martin Logan ESLs. They might not for other ESLs, but we have three ML dealers that bought them to match up with their speakers.

On the heat sinks, the biggest problem is finding ratings on them. What looks like a great heat sink, could be rather bad. The ones I got had a rating of 2.5-2.7 degrees C /watt. Most typical ones seem to be in the range of 4-7. 4 would probably be OK, 7 would fry the LM317. In the latter case the temperature rise (above ambient) would be around 70 C. The thermal shut down would kick in. Since it would shut off (no current flow), I doubt that any harm would occur to the tubes, but it certainly would mess up an evening of listening.

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next