DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 11:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 03:01 

Iin = Iout + Iadj
There is no current like Idis.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 14:08 

Poty, thanks for correcting a misunderstanding. Dissipation is generally used for power.

However, as much as I search there is so called a term as current dissipation and also a current dissipation circuit. But, I don't think this is the case for the circuit we discuss especially with the theories and the formulas widely accepted.

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 07:02 

Bruce,
Can we use KT150s in these mono-blocks? If we can't, what must be changed?

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 07:32 

ozapaydin wrote:
Bruce,
Can we use KT150s in these mono-blocks? If we can't, what must be changed?

You can. It's worth reading the thread as this has been discussed a lot....... :D

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 17:09 

Do you ever build anything, other than those oddblock this and that??
seem to me this feature dominates the day here, its time to shift the
scene. I've been building ckts like that since in my teens,, never found
them to be anything above board. don't want to be a critic, but I prefer to
be a critic, if that cultivates and promote change. being a critic is
good,as it encourages initiative, and pushes us on to better things
from ourselves.

PostPosted: 16 May 2017, 20:29 
Project Author

My apologies to Gio and Bruce for a slightly off-topic reply to Steakhead's question.
steakhead wrote:
Do you ever build anything, other than those oddblock this and that??
That is a question I don't understand. And since the intended recipient of your question was left somewhat ambiguous (even if I am being fatuous to make the implication) I will endeavor to provide an answer.

The first of my answer will be in the form of a question: "Have you read the forum topics?" As you say, the OddBlock design "dominates the day" on this particular topic. But then again, it is a topic dedicated to the OddBlock so for it to be otherwise would be, if I may use the word again, fatuous. But a perusal of the other forum topics will show that there is much more to be seen here.

Take some of my designs for example. I am typically a builder of SE designs, usually with simple cathode bias. You will find designs of mine on this forum for many different tubes and many different implementations. There are others that offer up designs with novel bias or feedback mechanisms. Some make use of high power transmitter tubes while others squeeze milliwatts out of much more humble packages. There are drivers, preamps, and tone shaping circuits aplenty. I have seen tubes designs for just about every conceivable audio use at various places on this forum. They are in fact so numerous, I could not begin to enumerate them.

So when you say "its time to shift the scene" I really don't understand your meaning. To do so on this topic would be far off topic, and to do so on others has already been done to quite some degree. Might I suggest you starting a new topic for new or novel designs. I, for one, always have at least one new SE design up my sleeve, for some tube, common or not. And there are many others on the forum with their own unique perspectives and designs.

But shall we agree to not unduly pollute this particular topic with other designs? For I assert that this topic is simply too important a source of information for OddBlock builders to muddy the waters.

Cascade Tubes Blog

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 13:06 

Thank you, I replied two days ago, but due to uncontrolled distractions,
I must have timed out, because, when the "submit" was pressed, it refered
to log in again. I find it very difficult to refer to the same issue all over again
as there is always significant substance loss, as the pen, having written,
moves on, so, we will take, as they say here, a rain check, on that issue.

PostPosted: 21 May 2017, 21:49 
Project Author

Hi steakhead,

"Do you ever build anything, other than those oddblock this and that??
seem to me this feature dominates the day here, its time to shift the
scene. I've been building ckts like that since in my teens,, never found
them to be anything above board. don't want to be a critic, but I prefer to
be a critic, if that cultivates and promote change. being a critic is
good,as it encourages initiative, and pushes us on to better things
from ourselves"

I'm with Matt on this. This particular thread is on a particular type of amplifier. Well past 100 pages of comments and several 100,000 views seem to contradict your notions. There are numerous other threads on this forum that cover different amplifiers. No one forced you to read this one. What you propose is generally considered hijacking of a thread. My personal opinion is if you don't like this one, then don't read it. Start one of your own. My question back to you is "have you ever built an Oddwatt?" Both the diy version and the commercial ones get lots of praise from serious listeners. They have been written up favorably in one magazine and one major web site. If you did happen to build one properly, what precisely did you find unacceptable?

I welcome constructive criticism, I do mind vague, generic comments particularly ones that seem a bit nasty or targeted. They do not add to the quality of the discussion and certainly do not dignify the individual making them. With that in mind I encourage your participation in this thread and hope that you as well as the remainder of the participants can profit from it.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 01:53 

Bruce,
I couldn't find anything about KT120 Oddblocks in YouTube. I suggest uploading some videos including the ones Oddblocks are presenting some fine music. This way, we may have an understanding of how these beauties sound.

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 17:46 
Project Author

Hi, At present neither I nor Oddwatt Audio Inc. are doing any youtube. Folks can check out the website for information and such but if you think about it, there is no way the sound on youtube could do justice to the amps or any other high performance audio product. Good thinking though. Thanks for the idea.

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 49  Next