DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 21:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 06:10 

Thanks from me too, Gio! :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 06:40 
Project Author

gofar99 wrote:
I got my larger heat sinks last week and put them in the KT120 push-pull amplifiers. I'm now running 300 mA per pair of tubes. All seems fine. I want to juggle a few parts and then if there is no smoke, fire, arcs, sparks and nothing just pain blows up - I'll be ready to do serious tests on the amps. My initial thoughts are that they are quite similar in performance to the KT88 amplifiers, but may have a slightly boosted bass in the sub 70Hz range.

I will be pushing 200mA through the 300Bs in the amp which is consuming my being. 300mA sounds huge. Where can you get a power tranni to handle that and what of OPTs. And you say how many WHATS??

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 16:05 
Project Author

Can anyone tell me how long the KT120s have been around and why they came into existance?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 18:43 

It was only later last year I saw the first forum posts, "Waz dis new toob?" :D

It may have been available OEM for a looong time though.

As to why, when it comes to power, usually the guitar people are the economic drivers.... but not on this one. I don't know :confused:

Cheers!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 21:56 
Project Author

Beauty is you could do a SE guitar amp with this tube and still get reasonable power with the additonal clarity. A push-pull even better - more power. I wounder if anyone has built a guitar amp with the tube yet.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 07:38 

The new Tung-Sol invented the KT120. There is no NOS, they are almost a year old. I think bragging rights, of being the biggest and baddest "Audio Designed" tube ever made, and the appeal to the guitar and tube audio world creates a big enough market. They are also typically cheaper than NOS KT88 or KT90 tubes.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 07:45 

I've seen lots of modding interest in guitar circles for KT88 or 6550 --> KT120's, but I don't believe there are any production models yet with them.
(unless some boutique builder on page 3,026 of Google is offering one)

Cheers!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 11:46 

mwhouston wrote:
I will be pushing 200mA through the 300Bs in the amp which is consuming my being. 300mA sounds huge. Where can you get a power tranni.....

Aside from some custom tranni winding, Hammond has added some high current power transformers to their "classic" line up. The smallest of the new ones being the 369KX (225-50-0-225 @ 300mA) and going as high as 863mA on the 373JX (350-50-0-350). Maybe some of these "boutique" builders who are building 6C33C high power amps and the new KT120s are creating enough demand to support the new higher current transformers.
:smoking:

I only saw the new high current types for the 300 series (multi tap primaries), and thier 700 series (750VAC CT and up). 'Course, their toroid PTs have had high current forms up to 234VAC CT up to 6.4A for a while, but they don't go higher than 234VAC CT.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstien

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 16:52 
Project Author

I thank Tung-Sol for the tube. Personally I've had some fun with it thanks to Bruce. And I would like to build a better SE amp with the tube than the Bread Board amp I currently have with interchangable driver stages. But I have to wonder why in this age a compnay would make a whole new tube.

May this be the start of "Tube Wars". Are we going to see a KT150 or maybe a KT120GB?? Will a whole batch of new tubes appear on the market and commercial power amp with them inside. We could be in for exciting times.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2011, 02:15 

BASTARDS!!!!!

Just because you wrote about this tube, I simply had to order me a pair and try it out myself ... :x

Been looking at this schematic.

I am however a bit worried as the mains transformers I bought (for another tube) may not be rated "correctly".
Transformer ratings

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next