DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 22 Sep 2020, 17:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015, 20:17 
Project Author

Hi, Good observation, The EMO813 has a secondary of 360 V and 450ma plus 10.9v and 4 amps. The 264 is not the same. Direct contact with Edcor ought to turn up the correct one. The next time I will check with them to see. The current in the output stage actually works out to 284-290 ma depending on component variations. B+ usually runs about 450 at the anodes. A tad bit more on the screens (5-8 volts).

Good listening
Bruce

EDIT: the 264 is suitable for the KT88 version of the amps. I did not locate one for the EMO-813. Since I gave the OK to sell all our OEM ones directly there should not be an issue. You just need to communicate with Edcor directly.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 10:39 

I am new to the tube and try to learn as much as I can but still confuse on the resistors and caps value. Looking at the schematic, some resistors don't say how many watts, is that means 1/4w? Also some caps have no voltage. Does anyone have the part list that you have been used? Thanks

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 05:49 

Hi!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43&start=1270

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 12:50 
Project Author

Hi, Welcome to the forums. We all started out new at one time in the past. Feel free to ask lots of questions as tube gear can pose a number of safety problems and we don't want to lose new members to something that was not clear. These amps use voltages that can be lethal. Use caution in building them and ask about everything. Yes the other thread has a long track record of the amps including probably nearly any question that could be asked. I grant a bit tedious to read through it though and one day I'll do a project update and consolidate the information. Briefly though to answer a few ...all resistors ought to be 1 watt unless otherwise stated. 1/2 watt ones would do generally, but for tube gear that tends to run on the hot side with pretty high voltages the larger size is cheap insurance for a long life amp. Capacitors need to have voltage ratings higher than the expected voltages. Those in the power filter section should be rated at 500 volts as that is a bit over the highest expected DC voltage. Typical operational voltages there are in the 425-450 volt range. The coupling capacitors need to be 350 volt ones as it is possible to (under rather unusual conditions) to reach nearly 300 volts across them. Typical operational voltages are in the 125-175 range. The capacitor from the ground to the heater circuit should be 250 volts or more. The capacitors in the heater circuit need only be 25 volts (50 is fine and often easier to find). The capacitor in the cathode of the driver tube needs only to be 10 volts or more up to about 50 volts. The type X2 capacitors are normally rated in AC and the value I use is 275 volts AC. More is fine.

Good Listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 19:59 

Thank you zyu and Bruce, I was searching for specific KT120 so didn't read that thread much, I will start reading that to understand more. I have read your Design and Construction of Vacuum Tube Amplifiers page and very clear about the danger of the high voltage. This is pretty new to me so I have been reading for a month to compare other designs and schematics in order to learn how it works. Your design it looks simple than Turner Audio, I ran into his 100w monoblock design then decided to stop reading because his massive power transformer design.

Very helpful with explanation of resistors and caps. Will save this for future reference. I haven't started anything yet, gonna spend more time to read until I have confident.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 04:35 

Hi again! I apologize for such a short response on my part - was on the road. As a beginner I can advise is 1000 times verify the list of components. It's a shame when you make an order for the project and forget one or two components, the resistor, for example. )And yes, safety, safety, safety.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015, 12:12 

It's alright, very useful link to keep me reading. I got dizzy after went through 50 pages :P j/k. I put everything in excel to compare with schematic, so pretty much getting everything on the list. Almost asking what are the V1 and V2 on Power Supply for while posting this, then saw the comment in the main circuit for KT120 :D That's embarrassed. I may ask couple parts on power supply but I like to read more first and find out what they are.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 16:06 

This is a very nice thread, congrats to all contributors!
For those still interested I have found that the power transformer from Elcor matches exactly the xpwr267. Too bad the shipping will cost me more than the transformer itself. Unfortunately same goes for the OPTs as well. For a stereo setup I will need to spend ~600$ only for these with the shipping included. Does anyone know if there are cheaper ways to buy the corresponding transformers here in Europe?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 12:38 

Hi,
I found a supplier for Edcor transformers in Germany.
My first project was a Poddwatt & I bought the transformers straight from the States.
They took 7 weeks to arrive & I had to pay £30 customs charges.
For my next projects ,I ordered 5 transformers from Don-audio. They were delivered 8 weeks after ordering.
The best part is that there are NO customs charges if you are in the E.U.
Hope this helps & the projects go well.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 12:54 

Thanks for the advice. I have started to buy ordinary components from German company Reichelt (www.reichelt.de) and have for a long time bought stuff from FragJanZuerst and Röhretechnik.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 49  Next