DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 May 2018, 15:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 10:47 

Yes, with the 360v 250ma versions I have 475v on my KT 88 Oddblocks and all is well . Robert P

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 22:45 
Project Author

Hi, The 180-0-180s will deliver about 450 under the load of a pair of KT120s. Fine and actually a good value. If you go much higher you will need filter caps that are rated more than 500 V and they get rather costly. Right now the prototypes are running at 405 which is a bit low (trannie is a 160-0-160) , but I can bump the current up a bit to get more output. My targets right now are 450-475 B+ and about 300ma per pair. That is as close to max dissipation as I would care to go. I like my tubes to last a while and the few extra watts gained by pushing the limits are unlikely to be audible.

I spent a goodly amount of time listening to the prototypes over the weekend. The tubes are not yet broken in but some things seem apparent. They will probably end up needing output transformers with about 2500-3000 impedance (present one is 4200, but 4 ohm loads seem to work better on the 8 ohm tap). I have to play with them a bit to be sure. It may be necessary to "tame" the bass a bit. It seems as if I get a gentle rise of about 1-1.5 db in the sub 100 HZ range (+about 1.2 db at 20HZ). If you have a system that is a bit shy there, this can be an asset. If you like stuff with a lot of bass the same applies.

More to follow....

(edit) I'll post the schematic in a week or so, I have a few clever ideas for it, but can't try them until I get some better heatsinks that are enroute. The LM317s will shut down if you get them too hot and at full power, the dissipation will get close to 12 watts. Heatsinks with ratings of better than (lower number) 4 degrees C / watt are needed. Most BTW are in the 6-10 range and will not be suitable.

Good listening

Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 16:07 
Project Author

Bruce: Did you say this is going to become one of your standard kits? It would be good while the tube is still new to the hi-fi sceen.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 16:17 
Project Author

Hi Mark, yes this will be a kit. 8-) No sales pitch here folks. It will be a number of months out as we can only source and field so many different new kits at one time. I'm thinking of two versions and the project post will probably show both. One, a minimalist version and the other a premium one with things like DC heaters and on board meters and such.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 16:28 

Slow Geek is slowwwww....

Bruce, you're Oddwatt? I was wondering why we had so many OW projects here... :D

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 17:23 
Project Author

Hi Geek, 8-) Yes, I do the design and support and my partner does the sourcing and selling. I intentionally do not push the kits on the forum. I like to design projects and help individuals with audio projects of their own. I down play the connection between me and the company as I feel it is inappropriate in a diy forum. :2c:

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 21:18 

I know the feeling!

I want to just design and build.... I should get someone to do the footpounding for me ;)

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 22:25 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, For those of you following this thread, you may wish to also follow the original Oddblock one as there is information there relating to the KT120s as well. It concerned using different grid resistors on the 120s from the 88s. I got the new heat sinks today and they should allow the Thunder Blocks to go to full power. They are a lot more substantial than the ones in the KT88 version. If they work, I'll post a "first" try schematic for you all. It may well end up a little different as I perfect it, but it will certainly make a good amp (it's quite good now) that has lots of muscle. 8-)

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 12:32 
Editor

gofar99 wrote:
I down play the connection between me and the company as I feel it is inappropriate in a diy forum.

Hi Guys, plugging your own product is allowed provided that the Forum Rules are followed. In particular:
Quote:
Commercial vendor offerings and advertisements of your own product will not be allowed unless the commercial vendor shares full details of their product (ie. schematics, PCB files ...) and they spend significantly more time contributing to the DIY efforts on this forum than they do trying to sell and promote their products.

Geek and gofar99 are excellent member examples of how we would like the commercial folks to behave on this forum.
Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 22:51 
Project Author

Hi Gio, Thanks for the kind words. I still make every effort to avoid pushing the products on the site. I just feel it is rather tacky to post a project and then hope someone will buy it from us. I love diy and really like to explore ideas on the forum and help others in their seeking audio nirvana - hopefully learning a little on the way and maybe even helping others to get involved. :D

BTW on the Oddblock project thread I added some thoughts on how the CCS works and some things that I considered as possible problems. I got my larger heat sinks last week and put them in the KT120 push-pull amplifiers. I'm now running 300 mA per pair of tubes. All seems fine. I want to juggle a few parts and then if there is no smoke, fire, arcs, sparks and nothing just pain blows up - I'll be ready to do serious tests on the amps. My initial thoughts are that they are quite similar in performance to the KT88 amplifiers, but may have a slightly boosted bass in the sub 70Hz range. This - depending on what you like for music, might not be a problem. The amps sure rattle things in my listening area. :o

Good listening
Bruce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next