DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 04:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 22:48 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, As promised I am starting a thread on KT120 Oddblocks. I have a pair up and running. Still early in the sorting out phase, but initial results are quite promising. As expected they are powerful. :o Calculated output power is 40 watts RMS (sounds like it too). I have done only minimal testing of them and will do more in the tweaking process. I will post a schematic when I am comfortable that they work up to my personal standards. My initial thoughts are they are quite quiet, low distortion, full power bandwidth (like all the other Oddwatts), good sound stage and imaging. Basically like all the others in the family just bigger. The B+ is 405 at 280 ma right now, but I believe that 450 at 300 ma is a reasonable target. Since the cathodes are about 37-39 volts above ground, this will result in total dissipation of about 120 watts it may be a bit close to max. :hot: Right now it is 102 watts and this may actually be better for the long run. I am still juggling with the load impedance to find the best match and a few other things. The driver is a 12AX7 SRPP. As this is a class A1 U/L mode there is no grid current during normal operation so there is no need for a hefty driver. For all you folks who abstain from DC heaters these amps use AC. It seems to reduce the S/N a bit, but until I run tests it is hard to say if it is significant. One thing for sure.... the KT120s are really huge by normal standards and look super.

Good listening
Bruce

Post subject: Re: KT120 Oddblocks
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 13:44 
Editor

Awesome! :up: I like the name "Thunder Blocks" you had previously mentioned.
Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:59 

gofar99 wrote:
"...For all you folks who abstain from DC heaters these amps use AC. It seems to reduce the S/N a bit, but until I run tests it is hard to say if it is significant... "

Hi Bruce!

I´m also using AC heaters on my EL34 Oddwatt. It´s amazing how it sounds. There is absolutely no hum at all!

I think that a good component placing and to avoid high AC currents are the key, but always with short twisted wires and not flying around the chassis. So I like to use AC series heaters. :)

Great Job!
Miguel

P.S. - I also like the "Thunder Blocks" name! I´d love to see a simple picture!!!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 21:13 
Project Author

Hi Miguel, Photos attached of the prototypes. The little tubes are 12AX7.

I need to replace the heat sinks as they are not thermally efficient enough. There are some low cost ones (under $1.50) from Mouser I am getting that will work better. These have a rating of about 8 degrees C / watt. The CCS really needs one in the 3-5 range to keep it from getting too hot and shutting down.

Good listening,
Bruce

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 04:48 

They are huge!

They show SOME respect! :) Why did you placed them so close to each other? Aren´t there heating issues between them?
If the neighbor tube heats up the anode, can it compromise overall performance?

Cheers,
Miguel

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 18:19 
Project Author

Hi, Yes the KT120s are huge and they do generate a lot of heat. :hot: The reason for the close placement is that I used a chassis from one of the Oddwatt Audio KT88 amp kits. A lot easier than drilling all the holes and such. For an actual build I would use a larger chassis and space the tubes out a bit more.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 20:19 

Hello, this is one project I have been waiting for ever since I bought the four KT 120 tubes! I ordered 2 Edcor power transformers, the 180-0-180 @ 500ma ones. 5 to 6 week wait of course. Should be exciting. Thanks, rparsh

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 09:47 

Your B+ will be too low with those transformers, unless you are going to use a voltage doubler.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 13:28 

It depends... Having such big margins with current, using solid state bridge rectifiers, full secondary and some luck you can have as much as 500V. RC filter will "eat" 30-40V, and we'll have healthy 460-470V.
Another question - will the planned 450V be enough? It seems the KT120 doesn't reveal full capability with the voltage.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 07:26 

Eh, yeah, I goofed :( . Looks like you could get about 480V B+ with a SS Bridge. According to PSU Designer. I was thinking about a 180V transformer, not 360V.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next