DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 15:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 16:12 
Project Author

Hi, No problem, I still have my K-12. It may not get much use now, but it has a warm spot in heart. Sort or reminds me of my roots. :king:

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 19:19 

New question. I installed Auricaps into my K12G. Auricaps work best (supposedly) when the red/black leads are orientated to the correct polarity. How can I tell how to orienatate the positive (red) lead of an Auricap? Which side of the circuit is + and which is - ?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011, 14:39 

I tried Auricap, K73-16 and K40-Y9. Second and third sound for a level better than Auricap.... 8-) :shock:
/K40-Y9 is russian Yensen/....

Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, PP 6005 Gen. Ellectric , headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L& E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
http://azazello-sound.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011, 15:20 
Project Author

Hi, I saw some guidance on the polarity of the Auricaps about a year ago and as I recall it was opposite of what I would have expected. The black lead was the input side. I have tried both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference. Just do all the same way. A bit of history here.... In the good ole days most tubular caps had a band on one end. This designated the "outside foil" end. This was significant as the designers wanted to minimize noise and hum pick up. The circuitry was generally much higher in impedance than we use now and it was much more sensitive to picking up crud. The foil end went to what ever part of the circuit was a lower impedance to ground (or through the power supply). It was a good concept, but there doesn't seem to be adherence to the markings any longer. My sense on the use of Russian PIOs vs Auricaps is that they are rather equal generally. Kits from my commercial side (no sales pitch intended) use the K40s, My personal stuff uses neither. I am presently using Jantzen Silver Zs for coupling caps. I think they have a cleaner midrange. Your results as always, may differ. I view capacitors much like ice cream, some folks like chocolate and some vanilla. ;) Both are fine.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 12:38 

Using my limited knowledge of electronics I tried to determine the proper orientation of the red/black leads of my Auricaps. The red lead is the positive(output); the black is negative (input).
Here goes:
I followed the traces from the positive and the negative speaker output jacks. The negative speaker output jacks eventually lead to the Auricaps. Therefore, I orientated the black leads towards the traces coming from the negative speaker output jack.
Attachment:
wineboxamp.jpg

What do you think?

BTW: I spruced up the cables on my amp using pants from PE and added some tube dampers. I just had to upload a new picture!! If I've got the Auricaps installed properly I can put this project to rest (and move on to the next one :mrgreen: )!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 22:19 
Editor

I have not noticed an audible difference with the polarity, but I keep the orientation the same in a build.
Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 19:32 

Does anyone have a schematic?
Thank you.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 16:23 
Project Author

Schematic of what?

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 16:40 

The K-12G
Thank you.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 19:29 
Editor

Hi, you can find the K-12G schematic here: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/dis ... hp?pid=368

Here is a link to the amp kit: http://www.s5electronics.com/gstereo.html