DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 04:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 14:06 

Evening all (NO! i'm not a p.c). Can you suggest a supplier for all needs please. Rapid have mosfets but nothing else i want others' have little bits but massive postage costs and/or minimum amounts. i know it's just as much work (almost) to pack one thing as it is ten but ya know. Let's say, mid price read:- not stupidly pricey components .Resistors/caps from the likes of wima/elna -sorry can't remember the english resistor guys name A. Bradley?. You know what i'm getting at, NOT £80 caps :o and so on. Any ideas? Many thanks

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 14:36 

There are a few sites come to mind,

www.hificollective.co.uk - theyre a bit pricey, but carry plenty good brands, if your wanting good caps etc. they have them

www.europe-audio.com - cheaper but still good stuff, just a lower choice range

www.gb.mouser.com - massive site, if they dont have the chip its likely it doesnt exist. dont carry big names in resistors etc I dont think but its worth a look

www.maplin.co.uk - Not gonna carry hifi stuff really, but if you need a resistor urgently you probably have a store nearby :D

Hope ive helped a little bit :P These are just the sites I look at, there are probably many many more

Have fun

Lewis

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 15:09 

Cheers Lewis, yep got a maplin down the road but every time i go in there's no stock of this or that! Gets to you in the end, they used to be ok once. Or indeed i end up with completely the wrong thing as it's a bunch of kids with no clue (well, at least in my branch). I'll take a look at the others, hi-fi collective seemed ok on stock variance. Ta

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 07:14 

I get most of my bits from CPC < http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp > free postage if over £40 ex VAT. Occasionally offers of free postage if over £10 like now. Facebook page lets you know. :)

Tony

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 03:18 

Thanks Tony, will look it up.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 18:09 

Ok, looked at all suggestions so far. Not wanting to seem churlish but, is there nowhere to get ALL parts from? Such as, decent resistors/polyprop caps/elc caps/ mosfets etc all in one place? Can get resistors from Hi fi coll, fets from farnell and others but nowhere can i buy a complete amps worth it seems. Of course i can order from various but, postage/minimum orders etc can bump things up uneccessarily i feel. If that's all the choice i have then so be it but, any other ideas? Thankyou (and again, i DO appreciate the feedback and am grateful) though it may not 'type out' that way. thankyou

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 20:00 
Project Author

Hi nat,

i often order my needed stuff at "RS Components". This is my personal favorite "all in one" source.
They carry nearly all components you may want to get. Might be worth a look..
Feel free to ask if you need some "special" components.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/home.html

Have fun ;).

Some of my projects: TDA2050 Chip Amp, the LM3886 Gainclone Thread and the Szekeres Headamp Thread.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 13:03 

Thanks Tom, much obliged, i'll see what they have.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 18:48 

I dont know whether I should even be suggesting this, because you might end up with crap components, but then if you just get the chips from there then they arent going to be made in a back street? anyway the idea is that you could look on ebay for the chips? if you can get some bloke in china to ship you the needed MOSFET's and you only pay peanuts for them and packaging, then you dont mind getting the resistors you want from hifi collective?

Anyway it was just a thought :P

Lewis